LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

head gasket questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head gasket questions

Alright so I'm leaning towards my car having a blown head gasket. I started it up at night to see if there were any sparks that would signify a bad wire and nothing. However the engine is running rough, it has white smoke in the exhaust, the exhaust note has changed noticeably, and its hardly driveable. So my questions:
Are there any other symptoms that I need to look for? I thought motor mounts at first but the engine is barely moving anyways.
What would the best replacement gaskets be and where could I get them? The engine is mostly stock.
What else do I need to do this? Should I also look into doing valve springs?
How hard of a job is this? Any supprises to look ouit for?
Sorry I'm flooding this forum with questions but car hates me and I need help. I have searched but its all a bit confusing because none of them really answer the questions...
Old 11-29-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A good head gasket would be the Impala replacements (available from just about everywhere). They're a bit thinner, will bump up your compression slightly, and can be done so without changing the pushrod length.

Before you go tearing into the motor, if you truly suspect a head gasket do a leak down/coolant pressure test. Also pull the plugs and see if any of them are cleaner than the rest (a leaky HG will steam clean the plugs).

No need to change the valve springs. Pull off the heads, have them cleaned/shaved, reinstall.

The task can be daunting at first. If you've never done something of this nature and aren't sure what you're in for plan on a FULL 2-day weekend. Having a COMPLETE set of tools is VERY critical.

There's a bunch of How-To posts on here. You should find a ton with a search.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

i would do a leak down test and compression test, following a coolant presure test. befor doing head gaskets. and there not that hard to do. ive done 5 with the engine in the car and a couple with it out. the hardest thing is torqing the intake down on the back bolts. but i would run felpro head gaskets if i was you. and if you do end up doing the head gaskets i would flux the heads and make sure there good.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

The reason I asked about valve springs was because I"ve heard that the stock ones suck and that they are easier to change with the heads off the car. I'll check the plugs but those are new so I don't know how dirty they would be anyways...
Old 11-29-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry but how would a compression/leakdown test tell me if something is wrong with the head gasket. I thought that those tests were for checking for burnt valves, worn piston rings, etc. I thought the problem with a blown head gasket was coolant getting into the cylinders and causing the mixture to not burn right? Please correct me..
Old 11-29-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FocusVince
Sorry but how would a compression/leakdown test tell me if something is wrong with the head gasket. I thought that those tests were for checking for burnt valves, worn piston rings, etc. I thought the problem with a blown head gasket was coolant getting into the cylinders and causing the mixture to not burn right? Please correct me..
If the head gasket leaks that allows compression to bleed down as well as worn rings, valves, etc.

A coolant pressure test would also be beneficial here.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well if your doing valve springs might as will put a bigger cam in stock valve springs are rated at 500 lift so if stock motor i wound just save your money
Old 11-29-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah forget about the valve springs, I might have to do this coolant pressure test
Old 11-29-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree withe the impala head gaskets but I reccomend using the fel-pro performance line, and I also would suggest putting better springs on the heads while they are off, you need to have the heads checked by a machine shop to make sure there isn't any warping if they need milled no biggie along with the gaskets it will help the compression/HP bump AND ensure they don't blow again right away from being warped .. Add 1.6 RR's to the mix and you will have a noticeable gain... Providing your rings aren't leaking compression bad...first do the leak down test ,it will tell you where you stand on each cylinder.

The performance head gaskets will run you $100
The new budget spring kit from alexsparts.com will run you $110
The head machining could run as high as $200
You could get budget Rockers for $200
Other than that you'll need Fluids,plugs,RTV, intake gaskets,exhaust gaskets..say $100..
just as an idea..

FWIW not long after my LT header install my
Driverside head gasket went at the #5 exhaust cyl... I caught it immediately so no milkshake lol

Last edited by defaultexistence; 11-29-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^^ I would LOVE to do all that, unfortunately I have very little money right now so I really can't do much besides all the gaskets, new head bolts, and the little stuff like coolant and what not that goes with it. Maybe valve springs if I can find them at a very low price...
You got to pay to play though I wish I had more cash ahha
Old 11-29-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is this the valve spring kit you were talking about?

http://www.alexsparts.com/sbc-valve-...at-tappet-cam/
Old 11-29-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

NO these..
http://www.alexsparts.com/lt1-valve-...rs-locks-cups/
Lt1 specific .. They checked out fine for me, exactly as described , however I had mine shimmed for a little more seat pressure and you discard the inner dampner spring.. But yeah..
You'll need the $16.00 set of valve seals he offers for them too..
Old 11-29-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh wow I missed those...I could probably do that depending on how much the gaskets and machining cost...
Old 11-29-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Take your time and figure your situation out , first do a compression/leak down test first .. You will need a compression gauge and a coolant system pressure tester ... Both available at you local auto parts hoe. Read your plugs, the fucked up cylinder with a leak will be really clean with possibly a green coolant tint ..
Old 11-29-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
NO these..
http://www.alexsparts.com/lt1-valve-...rs-locks-cups/
Lt1 specific .. They checked out fine for me, exactly as described , however I had mine shimmed for a little more seat pressure and you discard the inner dampner spring.. But yeah..
You'll need the $16.00 set of valve seals he offers for them too..

Are you running these on your new motor? Why did you get rid of the damper springs?
Old 11-29-2011, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
Are you running these on your new motor? Why did you get rid of the damper springs?
Yes, Lloyd elliot set them up on my heads and said the inner spring was not needed . He also said that they seem like a great spring for the price and checked out as described and good wire .. He shimmed them to have 140 seat pressure.. They are supposed to be renamed name brand extras ..
Old 11-29-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Will I need to have them shimmed if my heads are stock? Or can I just install them as is?
Old 11-29-2011, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

As is & no dampner.. Mine were shimmed for added performance with my LE spec'd cam
Old 11-29-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh I see, alright well tomorrow I'll see if the head gasket is my problem and go from there
Old 11-29-2011, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im in your same shoes OP. Im thinking about replacing them myself but i dont have enough room to remove the engine, and i heard its a hassle to remove em with the engine intact. So thats kinda holding me back.

PM me if you want some extra guides i found for replacing the gaskets if you decide to replace them.

Quick Reply: head gasket questions