LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Looking for Bolt-on #'s (preferably with RR's and springs)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Read my earlier post....I already gave you these #'s bolt on for bolt on....you will not find the article on the internet....the LT1 bolt on dyno test it was WAY back in 1997 I believe when "GMHTP" was just "High Tech Performance" (they still featured Mustangs back then ) As previously mentioned, 1.6 rockers and springs were worth 15 peak HP and as much as 20 HP at certain RPMs on a dynojet....I got the magazine still in my bathroom LOL. They have been proven again and again to give .02 gains in the 1/4.
I read up to the part where it said shorties will give you 15hp and thought "lolno." Is this the same magazine that did a dyno comparison of mufflers where a certain brand actually "added" horsepower?
Old 12-01-2011, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lt1-xjs
I've been through the rocker swap 3 times, 1.52's, 1.6's and 1.7's. The 1.6 swap is like a 10-12 rwhp gain. If you are trying to get the most on the stock cam I'd go for the 1.7's.
Ideally, 1.7's would be best BUT I want to reuse the rockers when I go LE2 and that might be overkill... or will it? Time for research! I know I won't be reusing the springs because the LE2 package comes assembled.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:08 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Catmaigne
I read up to the part where it said shorties will give you 15hp and thought "lolno." Is this the same magazine that did a dyno comparison of mufflers where a certain brand actually "added" horsepower?
It depends on the muffler. A crossflow style that is usually put on these cars will rob power. They don't flow worth a damn at all. Compare them to a single in single out and it is a night and day difference.

Also FWIW a good friend of mine had edelbrock shorties and a mufflex exhaust and when he switched to flp longtubes and the same mufflex he picked up under 5 hp and 5 trq. Same dyno and no other changes and the track backed it up.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen BBC engines dyno 10-20 hp more with a flowmaster race muffler and a Norma race muffler vs open headers. So im sure it would be the same with a SBC and the correct muffler.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

There are other factors like tune and restriction in intake or exhaust. Realistically, mufflers aren't adding horsepower. And shorties typically yield significantly less power gains than long tubes because the assumption is that the cat(s) is(are) left in place... why else would you buy shorties when LT's are about the same price...

Originally Posted by ks my ss
Mine put down 335 hp and 350 trq at the wheels. That was with basically all the bolt ons. That was also with slp shorty headers and true duals.

I think I picked up around 15 or so hp with the rockers. I didn't do springs at the time. i didn't dyno it but I was seeing a constant 2 mph increase at the track.
I... you sure your car doesn't have a mild cam or something? Those are some wicked numbers.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Launching!

Stock cam. I got the car when it was 2 years old and had 11,000 miles on it. It was 100% stock. When I tore into the engine we pulled the cam and it was the stocker. We spent alot of time tuning it aswell.

The reason I did shorties at the time was the price I got them for and I had to keep the cats at the time. Soon after I learned how to get around the sniffer test At the bolt on level I doubt you will see much difference in shorties vr. longtubes but as you get into cams, power adders and more cubes then you will start seeing the differences. I just know first hand on my buddies car. Everyone else I see going shorties to long tubes also change the entire exhaust so the gains are also from that.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1994 Z28 M6

10 years ago ran a best of 13.05@105. 1.7 60ft. Dynoed 286HP at the wheels. I always felt there was a 12.9x in it somewhere.

Mods: TB coolant bypass, TB airfoil, K&N CAI, LT4 KM, 1.6RR's, Edelbrock shorties, MSD 6a, Random Technologies Cat, Flowmaster single 3inch in and out, 4:10 gears, SS rims with drag radials.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Catmaigne
Nope...just re-read it last night...it was actually a High Performance Pontiac mag from 1997. They dynoed each part after installation and the "JBA shorties" (don't make them anymore) did make 15 more peak hp....keep in mind how restrictive the stock Y-pipe is...it's kinked as hell and small diameter pipe. The factory introduced a less restrictive larger diameter mandrel bent Y pipe in 1996 which was the cause for the bump from 275 to 285 HP; so there are bigger gains to be had on earlier LT1 cars. I used to have just a borla Y-pipe with manifolds and there was an immediate power gain. I'm sure longtubes could be worth 20-30 HP.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Nope...just re-read it last night...it was actually a High Performance Pontiac mag from 1997. They dynoed each part after installation and the "JBA shorties" (don't make them anymore) did make 15 more peak hp....keep in mind how restrictive the stock Y-pipe is...it's kinked as hell and small diameter pipe. The factory introduced a less restrictive larger diameter mandrel bent Y pipe in 1996 which was the cause for the bump from 275 to 285 HP; so there are bigger gains to be had on earlier LT1 cars. I used to have just a borla Y-pipe with manifolds and there was an immediate power gain. I'm sure longtubes could be worth 20-30 HP.
There is no way longtubes will produce 20-30 hp, 20 maybe. My shorty set which I dynoed made 17 rwhp- 16 tq. The most I've seen on longtubes was 19 rwhp dyno proven. The Y is the restriction as you said. 2 3" longtubes into a single 3" y is only good to maybe 360 hp. I can't understand why people run a cat back on a cammed car.

Quick Reply: Looking for Bolt-on #'s (preferably with RR's and springs)