LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

car won't stay in overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car won't stay in overdrive

Ok so I drove my Z to Detroit and back 93 miles one way and anything over 55mph the car just won't go anywhere in OD and kicks out all the time. you have to fully lift for it to even drop into OD at this point. Shifts great 1-3 but running like 3k at 70mph is just stupid.....

Needless to say I'm ready to M6 swap the car, as I loved my 94 and it's 2k at 80mph. Although I think this car has gears, because when it's in OD it's still like 2500 at 80.

I don't know much at all about auto's, but i have an idea of how they work. ie, valve body, the little blocker *****, solonoids, etc. But what would cause this, something along the lines of a TQ converter, or i really don't know?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Have you scanned it for any transmission codes? If not, do.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

That is number one on the list tomorrow morning. And taking a peek at the fluid.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well sounds like its out man sounds like what happened with mine my car would hit everything except 3 & 4 (Drive and OverDrive) and then just rev up so sounds like a blown tranny in my opinion a 6 speed would be awesome but then again you could go with a stall and a strongly rebuilt tranny for the same thing
Old 12-15-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just looking at the work involved for a swap it's not worth it right now. I have Drive just fine, just no OD. I may take a small loan on the car and get a stall/rebuild if thats what it needs. it's just a all weather DD for now.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BoostedDSM
Just looking at the work involved for a swap it's not worth it right now. I have Drive just fine, just no OD. I may take a small loan on the car and get a stall/rebuild if thats what it needs. it's just a all weather DD for now.
yeah man totally i got another tranny and added a stall never looked back get a cooler to man itll help extend the life on it
Old 12-15-2011, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro_ZL2
well sounds like its out man sounds like what happened with mine my car would hit everything except 3 & 4 (Drive and OverDrive) and then just rev up so sounds like a blown tranny in my opinion a 6 speed would be awesome but then again you could go with a stall and a strongly rebuilt tranny for the same thing
No, you had a different problem (smoked 3-4 clutch pack). Don't confuse the guy.

Originally Posted by BoostedDSM
Chill, you probably don't have a major problem, as long as 1st, 2nd, 3rd and reverse all work there is very little chance of a mechanical issue in the trans. If someone put gears in and didn't tune for it, the shifting will be off. There could also be several electrical causes (check the codes). Definitely check the fluid as well, a low level can cause it to feel like it is hunting in and out and will do some damage quickly if you don't top it off.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

The car was tuned for the gears, as the speedo is dead on via my gps. I will update this in the moring when I can scan, and check the fluid. but a stall just sounds fun haha.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok I'll update this now. I just checked the fluid since it's still warm. It's about a quart low as of now, and it's a little brown. So there may be a small leak somewhere, if i can get to a hoist i'll take a good look at it.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

See if it's leaking near the servo. Round thing on the passenger side of the trans above the pan lip. If there is something wrong with the apply servo that could be the problem BUT... Brown fluid means it's burnt and that never ends well. Running these things low can cause the fluid to burn so if you have no idea about Auto's then I'd say take it someone who will not just tell you it needs to be rebuilt but what maybe wrong. Sometimes they can fix them long enought for you to save up some cash for a good rebuild. How many miles are on it?
Old 12-16-2011, 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

If it's the stock trans, which i think it is. 186k. My uncle is a master tech, and if he does not know we have a guy close by that does all our tranny work that will. I've not done my transmission classes yet, but most of my other auto stuff is done as i'm an auto major haha. I'm going to take a peek at it now, since it's on jacks in our garage.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok another small update, drained the fluid and put a new filter in. Car shifts a lot better into 2nd and 3rd, but still won't stay in OD. So I have to find the time to run it over to our trans guy "doc" and have it scanned.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

So after having it scanned the car showed no codes, our tranny guy suggested a valve body swap. He thinks it's a failed shift kit install, because the car shifts really hard into 2nd and 3rd.

Quick Reply: car won't stay in overdrive