LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

EXTRA SPECIAL motor from VIRGINIA SPEED

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man a year ago everybody was on VA Speed's nuts. Now they are the worst shop ever. What a difference a year makes
Old 12-27-2011, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

I have been there, and have used them before with no issues. This was about 5 years ago though. Before that, I had heard some bad things, and then some friends started going there and using them, and they started to get a good following on here too.

I haven't been there in years, so I don't know if something changed or not, but anything is possible. Hopefully the OP can get everything straightened out and taken care of.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Damn, what happened to decent shops that would take PRIDE in their work and never send anything out the door until it was done to the best of their standards and abilities? I'm still baffled that they did dyno pulls on an untuned car. If they were going to do that, they should of at least got you a mail order tune from another performance shop if their tuner walked out
Old 12-27-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has either one of them answered the question about what kind of build this was??? stroker? heads, Cam???? What was done?? And why does that silver blob look like a oil plug that has been crushed?
Old 12-27-2011, 10:07 PM

It's a rebuild of a 409ci LT4 motor. I had to have new pistons (JE) but I was able to reuse everything else. I had the clutch rebuilt too... it's a spec stage 3.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK so why did it need a tune? Was this not in your car at the time it needed a rebuild? What tune was in the PCM when VA SPEED ran it on the DYNO? Hope you document the **** out of the tear down with pics and even video.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Banned

Why doesn't VA Speed get in here and answer these obvious *** questions, like why there are so many guys having problems with their shop? And that's only the guys who are members on this site who have spoken up, I'm sure there are plenty of other people getting fucked here as well.

And how about why the **** the car was on the dyno if he, quote, "Shouldn't have been driving it at all without a tune"? In the other thread VA Speed said "you chose to drive it which has probably caused a lot of damage by now". So how the **** is the guy supposed to get his car home? So the car was obviously not running right, leaking oil like a siv, and spitting raw fuel from the exhaust and you boot it out of the shop? Then say it's his fault for driving it? What what he supposed to do?

And "it needs a tune" is the biggest ******* cop-out in history. I don't know how many times I've heard schmuck mechanics and shops do absolute **** work and blame it on the tune. Bottom line is, if you are a well known shop with a big reputation and want to continue attracting customers, wouldn't you want to keep this quiet, especially on a forum you sponsor? By you copping out of 1 botched job, you are potentially losing thousands, or tens of thousands, of dollars in future business. People who want to pay a shop to build their car are going to chose a place like VA Speed because it is reputable on the forums and obviously knows F bodies. But not if they see things like this!

VA Speeds post in the other thread...
"Please do tell the whole story Sonny. There was so much fuel in the oil from the car running so rich and you continuallly driving it-i'm sure it do damage by this point in time. Told you the day you picked it up that it needed a tune- but instead of tuning it-you chose to drive it.

We refused to work on it again until you changed the oil and got most of the tune done. We do not have lt1 tuning software and don't plan on getting any."
Old 12-27-2011, 11:32 PM
Banned

"Told you the day you picked it up that it needed a tune- but instead of tuning it-you chose to drive it."

How about - It needed a tune, but instead of tuning it we just threw it on the dyno and went ***** out full throttle a few times until the shop was full of black smoke and the floor was covered in oil. Yep looks good, pull it out and tell the customer his car is ready!
Old 12-28-2011, 01:07 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry about your paperweight.

Leave the drama in the sponsor section because this will turn into 8+ pages of "he said, she said".

Tony.

Quick Reply: EXTRA SPECIAL motor from VIRGINIA SPEED