LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

EGR feed pipe - manifolds in car - removable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012 | 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Default EGR feed pipe - manifolds in car - removable?

I'm deleting my EGR in my TA (daily driver) because I've had some idle/vacuum leak issues and just want to eliminate all the emissions junk from the equation.

I deleted the EGR in my camaro a few years ago but that had LTs and I was able to get the feed off with the headers in the car.

With the manifolds I can't figure this out though. Is it possible or do I have to take the manifold off? From underneath I dropped the starter but I still can't get a wrench in there. From the top I obviously can't see anything and even if I trace the feed pipe all the way back with my hand I can't really find the bolt.
Old 01-05-2012 | 03:16 PM
TECH Veteran

This diagram may help you find it, but it does not guarantee you can reach it.
Old 01-06-2012 | 06:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Z28Roxy
I'm deleting my EGR in my TA (daily driver) because I've had some idle/vacuum leak issues and just want to eliminate all the emissions junk from the equation.

I deleted the EGR in my camaro a few years ago but that had LTs and I was able to get the feed off with the headers in the car.

With the manifolds I can't figure this out though. Is it possible or do I have to take the manifold off? From underneath I dropped the starter but I still can't get a wrench in there. From the top I obviously can't see anything and even if I trace the feed pipe all the way back with my hand I can't really find the bolt.
I've had my manifolds off a couple of times over the years, so I know that I've had to disconnect the EGR tube. It's been a while, but I seem to recall that if the "Y" pipe is dropped away from the manifolds, especially the RH side, you can access the bolt that holds the tube in place.

One point, however.....If you're deleting the EGR, and the tube, you'll need to plug the hole in the exhaust manifold, otherwise you'll have a gigondous exhaust leak, and potential fire hazard. So, you'll need to pull the manifold in order to fit some sort of plug in there.

Assuming that you're going to do that, if all else fails, unbolt the EGR tube from the back of the intake, remove the exhaust manifold with the tube still attached, and then remove the tube when the exhaust manifold is off the car.
Old 01-07-2012 | 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I've had my manifolds off a couple of times over the years, so I know that I've had to disconnect the EGR tube. It's been a while, but I seem to recall that if the "Y" pipe is dropped away from the manifolds, especially the RH side, you can access the bolt that holds the tube in place.

One point, however.....If you're deleting the EGR, and the tube, you'll need to plug the hole in the exhaust manifold, otherwise you'll have a gigondous exhaust leak, and potential fire hazard. So, you'll need to pull the manifold in order to fit some sort of plug in there.

Assuming that you're going to do that, if all else fails, unbolt the EGR tube from the back of the intake, remove the exhaust manifold with the tube still attached, and then remove the tube when the exhaust manifold is off the car.
Yes I'm trying to remove the EGR pipe from the exhaust manifold and put a block off plate on. I already removed the EGR and the pipe from the back of the intake and put block off plates there.

I looked under there and don't really see the y-pipe being in the way as much as the transmission and transmission dipstick.
Old 01-08-2012 | 11:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

MR bill says "can all the little children say, aftermarket headers?" very good children, I knew you could do it!!
Old 01-09-2012 | 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tinbender59
MR bill says "can all the little children say, aftermarket headers?" very good children, I knew you could do it!!
Yes I will be doing that in the spring/summer where I can DD my camaro while I install headers on my TA. Right now it's winter and I don't want my camaro seeing salt

Quick Reply: EGR feed pipe - manifolds in car - removable?