LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1st gear grinding. Possible clutch problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st gear grinding. Possible clutch problem?

I have a 1996 Trans Am with the T-56. Sometimes when I launch from first it wants to grind the gears. This just started happening randomly. If I play with the gas right and REALLY easy into it, the won't, other than that, its completely random. It will do the same if I launch from second also. It won't grind any gears once I'm going, and shifts fine. Even from first to second once I'm rolling. I've talk to a teacher of mine and he said it sounds like the slave cylinder may be going out, but he's not sure. I wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem, and knows what could be wrong.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Shot in the dark, but try depressing the clutch twice before putting it into another gear. Clutch, take out of gear, clutch, put into gear. If that helps, maybe the clutch isnt grabbing stong enough the first time. I had a similar problem once and that was it.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We need a better description of what is going on.

Does it grind when you have the clutch down and try to push the shifter into first? Or does it grind after you put it in gear and let the clutch out to take off? If the former, does it do it if you try to put it in 3rd or reverse while stopped also?
Old 01-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Teching In

It does it as I let out of the clutch. It has done it a few times in reverse, but more so in 1st and 2nd. I haven't tried 3rd. I assumed that it would do the same in 3rd as it was in 1st and 2nd. It always does it from trying to take off in second. Also, if I have any momentum going backwards, such as not fully stopping after backing up or on a hill, it will do it.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

Are you sure this 'gear grinding' sound is coming from your transmission?

Sometimes with new clutches you'll get some vibration and chattering noises when the car first begins to move, then goes away when the car is in motion.

One thing you can do is to check to see if your clutch is dragging. All you have to do is get the car on a flat surface, with the engine running, push in the clutch and put the shifter slowly into first gear, do not let the clutch out. If the car wants to creep forward then that means your clutch is dragging (not fully disengaging). This can reeeally shorten the life of your transmission.

I'm saying this because if this sound really is coming from your transmission, than you need to eliminate the dragging problem or you'll just keep going through transmissions which are not cheap.

Another thing that can make grinding/squealing noises when its on its way out is your throwout bearing. But usually that will make noise most when its under load (when you're holding the clutch pedal down, not just when you're letting off it).
Old 01-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Teching In

The sound is definitely coming from my transmission.

The clutch isn't new. Same one in it when I bought it, and I've put about 10k miles on it since then.

The car doesn't want to creep forward when I do that.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

Not sure what to tell you man, the best thing you can do is to get under the car and pull the tranny-- that way you can get a good look at the clutch, throwout bearing, flywheel, and pilot bearing. If everything looks healthy, take the T-56 to a transmission shop and have them crack it open and give you a diagnosis.

I can say that you can rule out your slave cylinder as a possible problem. Since your clutch isn't dragging, that means that your master and slave cylinders are working fine.

Maybe someone will chime in with better advice, but to me that seems like the most logical way of troubleshooting.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like time for some new fork pads in the ol T56.

After you get it fixed, stop resting your hand on the shifter.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Did you ever figure out the problem?

Did you ever figure the problem out?

Quick Reply: 1st gear grinding. Possible clutch problem?