LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

aint this the crappers??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 11:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aint this the crappers??

well I smoked yet another one, dang it! I guess it is time to get an aftermarket cooling fan. I cant keep the fuses or relays, on the "FORD" vic fan. it is suposed to be a 30 amp unit (two speed) but it takes a 60 amp fuse to keep it moving.

back to the smoked one, the whole fan curcuit, relays fuses and wiring went up in smoke, leaving the OL LT with out sufficent cooling, and now I have at the minum, a cracked head. loosing a gal of water in 500 miles, smells of antifreeze in the exaust on startup, and last but not least A LOT of pressure in cooling system when motor is under 180 deg. so now I get to pull a R & R on the motor.
I found a 40K GM take out to put back in. may play with the old one???

no answers required on this issue, I have mastered the art of "kicking my own A$$" LOL

I do have a question though, what would it take to fix the lower end on our motors to turn 7k safely?
and which aftermarket fan is the best??
Old 01-09-2012, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps you should look into the B body towing package fan. it is mechanical, similar to what your truck came with.

Why would you want your truck to run out to 7k? Sand drags? Anyhow, rod bolts and valve springs mainly. That is also around the area where hydraulic roller cams start to get a bit touchy.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tinbender59

no answers required on this issue, I have mastered the art of "kicking my own A$$" LOL

I will not answer the ?'s. I just wanted to say, I thought I was alone at the mastering of this art.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 3DFORMULA
I will not answer the ?'s. I just wanted to say, I thought I was alone at the mastering of this art.
nope, I-R-professional-self-A$$-kicker Git-R-Done
Old 01-09-2012, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 05HD
Perhaps you should look into the B body towing package fan. it is mechanical, similar to what your truck came with.

Why would you want your truck to run out to 7k? Sand drags? Anyhow, rod bolts and valve springs mainly. That is also around the area where hydraulic roller cams start to get a bit touchy.
ah??? I really don't know how to answer the first, LT1's do not have provisions for a mechanical fan??????

second, I like the sound of the music, a SB Chevy 406 turnin 8500r's, is a sound and feal that you will never forget!! pure, raw, Horse power, in one of it's finest moments.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

ah??? I really don't know how to answer the first, LT1's do not have provisions for a mechanical fan??????

second, I like the sound of the music, a SB Chevy 406 turnin 8500r's, is a sound and feal that you will never forget!! pure, raw, Horse power, in one of it's finest moments.
No, really. LT1 B bodys (Impala, Caprice, Roadmonster and Deville) with the towing package came with mechanical fans. Tow package only, not "HD cool" package the cop cars had or any standard B body. I remember because it was one of the most bizarre things I ever saw on a factory GM car.

I can't argue with the RPM preference, lol. I like the sound too. I was just thinking of my '97 K truck when I said that. I love the fact that it makes tons of torque right off of idle with the 454.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=05HD;15818809]No, really. LT1 B bodys (Impala, Caprice, Roadmonster and Deville) with the towing package came with mechanical fans. Tow package only, not "HD cool" package the cop cars had or any standard B body. I remember because it was one of the most bizarre things I ever saw on a factory GM car. QUOTE]

FOR REAL???? I gotta see this. it may be just what I need. more info would be great, and pictures please
Old 01-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Yes some B-body cars did come with the mechanical fan. Go hit up a junk yard and you should be able to find them.

I use Dodge Intrepid fans on most of my swaps that did not have a factory electric fan. They are a dual fan that can be trimmed to fit most radiators, or left whole for larger ones. They pull less amps than the Ford fans and still move a large amount of air. I currently have one om my L31 Vortec Blazer and it works great.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by muddyjimmy
Yes some B-body cars did come with the mechanical fan. Go hit up a junk yard and you should be able to find them.

I use Dodge Intrepid fans on most of my swaps that did not have a factory electric fan. They are a dual fan that can be trimmed to fit most radiators, or left whole for larger ones. They pull less amps than the Ford fans and still move a large amount of air. I currently have one om my L31 Vortec Blazer and it works great.
thanks man!! and you can give me my car back------the 85 Z---- ya yours is exactly like my first 3rd gen TPI car, dang I miss her!!!!
Old 01-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Launching!

possibly do pusher fans and a stocker puller.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

muddyjimmy, cool news today, I MAY!!! be getting my hands on a 91 RS Convertible, blown motor, front end is beat out of it (suspension) the body is about a 7. If it is cheap enough???? just screaming for an LT1 LOL
Old 01-10-2012, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

There's nothing wrong with the FORD Vic fan, it's actually a very good fan. Few aftermarket fans will move as much air.

Just get a controller and wiring that can handle it. One such as THIS. I use the dual version for the dual fans in my TB (50 amps continuous combined).

It'll turn it on "softly" at 1/2 power and gradually ramp up the fan speed if radiator temp continues to rise.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Holy smokes Batman $294.38 I just about fell out of my chair!!! but It may be nessary???
Old 01-12-2012, 08:34 AM
TECH Regular

I have a mechanical fan set up off a b-body ( lt1 roadmaster) pm me and i can hook you up with a price
Old 01-13-2012, 07:36 AM
TECH Regular

The only other option id use is the stock lt1/ls1 fans, 2 speed dual fans I've heard that they move like 5k cfm on high speed.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

well I smoked yet another one, dang it! I guess it is time to get an aftermarket cooling fan. I cant keep the fuses or relays, on the "FORD" vic fan. it is suposed to be a 30 amp unit (two speed) but it takes a 60 amp fuse to keep it moving.

back to the smoked one, the whole fan curcuit, relays fuses and wiring went up in smoke, leaving the OL LT with out sufficent cooling, and now I have at the minum, a cracked head. loosing a gal of water in 500 miles, smells of antifreeze in the exaust on startup, and last but not least A LOT of pressure in cooling system when motor is under 180 deg. so now I get to pull a R & R on the motor.
I found a 40K GM take out to put back in. may play with the old one???

I do have a question though, what would it take to fix the lower end on our motors to turn 7k safely?
and which aftermarket fan is the best??
Well first off I know which fan you are running......they work great but its like powering a small city to keep it moving correctly lol......you NEED 10-12GA wire runing to that fan from your relay and also a high current 60A+ relay along with the proper fuse as you realized.......stock wiring will NOT run it you need to wire it yourself.......as for the motor if you do want to rev it that high which i dont really see a need for unless ur planning big stuff it really depends on the power level you plan to be at........a good HR cam and valvetrain design will spin well in excess of 7k if needed.....i did 7000rpm for 4 years with stock balanced crank and rods with ARP 8740's and a forged piston.....also a good AI HR cam and supporting valvetrain.....i made around 500fwhp......stayed together fine and ran great for 4 years of bracket racing beating the snot out of it constantly and street driving also......
Old 01-13-2012, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

why not go for a taurus fan? They have a bit less air flow but theyre still good, and they should require less amperage if im not mistaken.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

id invest in a larger coolant temp gauge as well...
Old 01-16-2012, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by trilkb
id invest in a larger coolant temp gauge as well...
now that is funny I don't care who you are!!! BUT I'll take it "here let me kick myself again" LOL

Last edited by Tinbender59; 01-16-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jon A
There's nothing wrong with the FORD Vic fan, it's actually a very good fan. Few aftermarket fans will move as much air.

Just get a controller and wiring that can handle it. One such as THIS. I use the dual version for the dual fans in my TB (50 amps continuous combined).

It'll turn it on "softly" at 1/2 power and gradually ramp up the fan speed if radiator temp continues to rise.
that is a lot of money but, what is #3 motor worth??? I'll be gettin something figured out befor I pull #2 out!!

Quick Reply: aint this the crappers??