LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help with mild LT1 build!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012 | 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

For the motor id get the budget LE1 setup and id probably throw a shift kit in that trans. Definetly a big trans cooler and a 4000 stall. Lower control arm relocation brackets and some good tires should be enough to make it hook. My old 98 with nothing but MT DRs hooked great.
Old 01-17-2012 | 08:36 AM
TECH Resident

read a gmhtp article & thought they were nuts sayin the bore was good at 150k till the machine shop said you dont need a bore so its up to you The blocks dont wear like older blocks because of the low tension rings
Old 01-17-2012 | 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gregrob
Lol OK... I know exactly what you're getting at and anyone competent could determine bore symmetry, taper, and piston to bore clearance with the slugs in place.

Did you miss the mild part?

Why not just do a damn compression and leak down and go from there?

Too many assumptions that the engine "must" be worn out with that mileage.

FWIW I would consider replacing rod and main bearings if a compression test is within spec. There are engines that go over a million miles and never lose ring seal, but they do like fresh bearings every once in a while.

I never said a ******* thing about needing to bore it moron. If you would learn to ******* read; i said that just because it has 180k DOESN'T mean it needs to be bored.

If going through the hassle of rebuilding it, why not just pull the slugs out and then determine the condition of the bores. Wait no I love to have to crank the engine over to check each bore....

And no I didn't miss the mild part... did anything i mention get into great detail with the engine????
Old 01-17-2012 | 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Name calling? Classy move there...

Sorry I upset you.

Quick Reply: Help with mild LT1 build!