LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

name that oil leak!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default name that oil leak!

hey guys, im trying to track down an oil leak on my 96 t/a. usually leaves a spot about the size of a quarter on the passenger side of the car. i checked the valve covers and the oil pressure sensor and both are dry. i checked the back of the intake and there is a lot of grime, but it didn't seem fresh. also, i felt a little lower and it was pretty dry. there are a bunch of black marks on my exhaust from where it fell on it and ran down the pipe. also some oil on my trans pan.

any ideas as to what it can be? i haven't ruled out the intake entirely, but im fairly sure its not. i've also read of people having leaky dipstick tubes, which would make sense because the oil drops consistently on the passenger side of the car. ive done a lot of searching, and most people say intake, but like i said i highly doubt it.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Launching!

the size of a quarter? man thats like a snowball in hell. good luck! spray the whole engine down with brake cleaner/degreaser. that way you have a clean starting point. also check you PCV valve for proper operation. if the pressure builds up, it shoots out of the block where the dipstick goes in. honestly tho, unless that spot really bothers you in your driveway, just let it go
Old 01-19-2012, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

its not a big deal, but it stinks to high heaven. otherwise i wouldn't really care
Old 01-19-2012, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tracking down oil leaks has been done for years. By far the best method is to clean everything up VERY well using parts cleaner, then look for the oil leak. An even better idea is to use a dye kit and a UV light source to make pinpointing the leak even easier.

Of course this is in case you can't track it down just by looking.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^^^^ What he said =).

Oh I love playing that game. Hmmmm trans oil pan. When my oil pan bolts where loose, it would leak a quarter until it got worse. Check to see if your trans oil is low. On my car, the bolts of the trans where loose and it kept dripping closer to the passenger side. Just my .2 cents =). I put new pan gasket, filter, cleaned the bolts, tightened them. Now she don't leak no more, yay. Well the dipstick tube travels next to the trans oil pan so you are right that it could be that. Go under your car and check it out. What color is the oil, red or brown?
Old 01-20-2012, 08:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like mine, I think it was coming from the dipstick tube where it mounts to the block. I put a small bead of RTV at the lip of the dipstick tube and reinstalled it. Not sure if it fixed it since I haven't drove the car though.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

its def not coming from the trans pan. the fluid is relatively fresh and is still bright red. the crap on the pan is nasty brown. might have to give the uv dye a shot

Quick Reply: name that oil leak!