LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

new parts new noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 01:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new parts new noise

Hey guys I just got done putting in a new sa gear timing set, Delphi opti, gmb water pump, and all new seals in the timing cover. I started it up and it's making a noise. The only thing I can compare The noise to is it sounds like a gear drive timing set. Is this something to be worried about? Could it just be the gears breaking in? Thanks.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSS07
Hey guys I just got done putting in a new sa gear timing set, Delphi opti, gmb water pump, and all new seals in the timing cover. I started it up and it's making a noise. The only thing I can compare The noise to is it sounds like a gear drive timing set. Is this something to be worried about? Could it just be the gears breaking in? Thanks.
Sounds like something you should investigate. Try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

Joe
Old 01-22-2012, 01:44 PM
TECH Regular

As soon as I get home I'm going to take the belt off and see if the noise is there. If so I'll try and find it with the stethoscope.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:29 PM
12 Second Club

I read a post somewhere of the same noise you have, that person also tried a new non GM timing set. He switched to a GM set and the noise went away. The noise is from the staight cut gears of the cam gear to WP drive gear, the gears are meshing too tight...no backlash. Gears run in this condition will overheat and wear out. The camshaft drive gears on older Harleys are the same way. Too tight is bad. Check out page 20 of the Andrews Products motorcycle catalog available online.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

Fml. No change with belt removed. Guppymech I found the thread you're referring to. Sounds like the same problem I'm having. Sound is coming from right behind the water pump. I'm glad I used rtv on everything. On the plus side car runs better. Hopefully when searching people will come across this thread and make sure to avoid s.a. gear timing gears and timing sets for their lt1. I did get a set of headers and y pipe at the junkyard the other day so I guess I'll put those on and get rid of egr and air since everything has to come back off and I'll be waiting at least a week for parts.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:08 PM
12 Second Club

While you're in there looking at the end of the camshaft......but then again you already spent a wad of cash.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

Lol it was hard to resist the urge to swap the cam before! I keep telling myself this is just going to be my dd and not to go too crazy with it! I need something that gets decent mpg. Truck gets 11 and my other car averages about 5 .

Quick Reply: new parts new noise