LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

MSD box.... do they work

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MSD box.... do they work

Hey everyone I was wondering if running a msd box make a big difference? I have a 383 with a vortech supercharger. I haven't got it tuned yet but shooting for 600rwhp. Dose anyone have some ideas.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't say they're worth any power but it is a good independant ignition rev limmiter. If your a M6 it can also give you the 2-step option making launches more consistant. The newer 6AL2 looks nice, that's what will replace my old 6AL when it goes out, you know (Might Suddenly Die!)
Old 01-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your car still breaks up at high RPM even with the plugs gapped less, then yes an MSD could help if the spark is being blown out. i did a lot of changes at one time, so im not sure if the MSD box helpped or not, but it is a rev limited instead of cutting fuel and going lean like the last guy said
Old 01-23-2012, 12:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing about an MSD on a car with an Optispark. If a plug wire comes off it can kill the cap. The MSD generates a hell of a spark, and it's going to spark somewhere.

Al 95 Z28, MSD w/ Blaster coil.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

An MSD ignition is useless unless the factory ignition system is up to par. It can't magically fix any ignition issues, and even then their benefit is questionable at best.

I have been using the OEM ignition on my T/A since 2000 and haven't had a problem, ever, with the factory ignition keeping up.

However for a boosted application there may be some benefits - check the FI forum.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

The higher the RPM, the less time the MSD is able to provide benefits of multiple sparks. Other features of the box may be of benefit for a particular application, though.

How it works:

Originally Posted by MSD
At low rpm the MSD produces a series of sparks during each firing instead of one like a conventional ignition. At low engine speeds when the air/fuel molecules are not finely atomized, the multiple spark feature still ignites the mixture. But this isn't the only feature. The number of sparks produced by the MSD Is reduced as engine rpm increases simply because "time" becomes too short to repeat a spark. However, the spark series always lasts for 20 degrees of crankshaft rotation no matter what the rpm and no matter whether it is a single spark or a series of four or five sparks. This 20 degree duration spark sequence insures that the air/fuel mixture is ignited and completely burned. Also each spark the MSD produces is an extremely high current spark. Current is like the heat of the flamethrower. Current is what actually does the work or in this case ignites the fuel mixture. Together, the multiple sparks, the high current and the 20 degree duration, produce an ignition that is superior to any other ignition. More importantly though, the MSD Ignition ignites the fuel mixture in the cylinder instantly and insure complete combustion, no matter what the molecular composition is. The result is reduced variations in burn times and therefore more engine power, better throttle response, easier starting and better fuel economy.
I run one, just because I had it laying around. As far as it eating up caps and rotors, I have not had any issues (11+ years with same opti). If you have a plug wire issue, your going to feel a miss and take care of it right away, so I don't see that as a potential problem.

Quick Reply: MSD box.... do they work