LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Yet Another Opti thread....

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012 | 02:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet Another Opti thread....

About 2 weeks ago my 94 formula startled me with an unexpected stall for a few seconds while driving. It then went back to normal as if nothing ever happened. Next day comes around and it happens again. (both times at low rpm cruise) Had mechanic look into it and came back with a problem in the distributor ignition system -DT 36. "Faulty High Resolution Pulse or Extra Low Resolution Pulse Detected" This problem has been occurring less frequently since then but it still occurs.

The diagnostic aid claims that the engine does not need the high resolution pulse to operate but I would still like to make a complete replacement on the cap/rotor/opti as the hose from my water pump had recently burst as well.

Relying on her, I would like to make a replacement with a dependable distributor/opti (not planning on doing the EFIConnections). What brand (MSD, Delco, OEM, Accel, etc....) would you guys recommend for dependability but no need for any higher rpms since I am not racing her. I am not trying to skimp out but I just dont want to invest the money for a badass set on a stock lt1.
Old 01-25-2012 | 03:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Delphi, Delco will do..I would also replace optispark wiring harness connector if you still have the stock one..Don't for get to put locktite on the rotor screws.
Old 01-25-2012 | 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 I found a Delphi opti on Amazon for $248.
Old 01-25-2012 | 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Right now Advance Auto has $30 off online that BWD brand looks pretty good..It will be cheap if you use the 30's off you'll get it for 100 bucks..not bad.
Old 01-25-2012 | 07:50 PM
Teching In

Hmm I might just go to with delco. thanks a lot guys. have you heard anything about the Accel one on jegs?
Old 01-25-2012 | 07:54 PM
Teching In

Not sure if i wanna take the risk on anything under 200... the BWD seems to be just the cap and rotor btw
Old 01-25-2012 | 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chandler Motor Sports on ebay for 90.00. Brand new just bolt on. No need to pay hundreds for something that won't be any better.
Old 01-25-2012 | 08:40 PM
On The Tree

I just bought a Delphi vented opti from amazon for 240.00. I had a ebay special, lasted about 2500 miles. Hard miles, but none the less the rotor screws backed out and killed it.
Old 01-25-2012 | 09:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Jr.Samples
Chandler Motor Sports on ebay for 90.00. Brand new just bolt on. No need to pay hundreds for something that won't be any better.
LOL, their [Chandler] track record says aren't the better one by a long shot. Read all the complaint threads. Honestly, how can a $90 opti be any good?
Old 01-25-2012 | 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rtltrap
About 2 weeks ago my 94 formula startled me with an unexpected stall for a few seconds while driving. It then went back to normal as if nothing ever happened. Next day comes around and it happens again. (both times at low rpm cruise) Had mechanic look into it and came back with a problem in the distributor ignition system -DT 36. "Faulty High Resolution Pulse or Extra Low Resolution Pulse Detected" This problem has been occurring less frequently since then but it still occurs.

The diagnostic aid claims that the engine does not need the high resolution pulse to operate but I would still like to make a complete replacement on the cap/rotor/opti as the hose from my water pump had recently burst as well.

Relying on her, I would like to make a replacement with a dependable distributor/opti (not planning on doing the EFIConnections). What brand (MSD, Delco, OEM, Accel, etc....) would you guys recommend for dependability but no need for any higher rpms since I am not racing her. I am not trying to skimp out but I just dont want to invest the money for a badass set on a stock lt1.
I am running 9's with an AC Delco opti. I loctited the rotor and sealed the cap and my car see's 7000 pms on a regular basis on nitrous. Two years and still going strong.
Old 01-26-2012 | 08:27 PM
Teching In

guess im going delco then

Quick Reply: Yet Another Opti thread....