LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help!! Car won't pass smog for the 3rd time

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 08:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep reading that brand new coated headers can foul the O2 sensors as the coating burns off or cures inside the pipes. You're supposed to use old O2 sensors for a while then switch to new sensors with new coated headers. Are your new emissions legal headers coated?

Don't they give you a 'pass' after you've spent a certain amount of dollars on trying to get it to pass? I think in the old days that's what they did.

Last edited by guppymech; 02-02-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by guppymech
I keep reading that brand new coated headers can foul the O2 sensors as the coating burns off or cures inside the pipes. You're supposed to use old O2 sensors for a while then switch to new sensors with new coated headers. Are your new emissions legal headers coated?

Don't they give you a 'pass' after you've spent a certain amount of dollars on trying to get it to pass? I think in the old days that's what they did.
I have legal mid length pacesetter headers...yes there coated..
Old 02-03-2012, 08:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 05HD
It looks like high NOx with nothing else out of the ordinary. High combustion temp while not running lean points to too much timing advance or non-functional EGR. The valve is new so, is the EGR solenoid working right and getting proper manifold vacuum? Are the passages clear of carbon buildup? If all of that checks out, I'd head after the pcm programming.

Some alcohol in the fuel tank would bring the combustion temps (and NOx readings) down some for sure, if that is all you are after. Beat the **** out of it for 10 minutes before you line up for the test. The higher the cat temp, the better.
^^^What he says, also try installing a step or two hotter plug to ensure more of a complete burn, But you could use GM top end cleaner or Seafoam (but I have no experience or results with this stuff) then as said, run it hard to possibly get rid of some carbon build up, Put new oil and the hotter plugs, If the tune lowered your engine temps then this could be another problem, Factory settings is like 226 degrees for emissions...
Old 02-03-2012, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When HC are high it helps cool the combustion chamber bringing Nox down. You fixed the HC problem but now have high Nox because there isn't the extra fuel cooling the combustion chamber. When my car had headers and stock motor I always failed on Nox too. The EGR system is back pressure sensing and does not function properly with headers. Put all the vacuum in the world to the valve without back pressure it will not open. I used to manually lift the EGR valve open during the test because I had a friendly inspector!
Old 02-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by flame
When HC are high it helps cool the combustion chamber bringing Nox down. You fixed the HC problem but now have high Nox because there isn't the extra fuel cooling the combustion chamber. When my car had headers and stock motor I always failed on Nox too. The EGR system is back pressure sensing and does not function properly with headers. Put all the vacuum in the world to the valve without back pressure it will not open. I used to manually lift the EGR valve open during the test because I had a friendly inspector!
My buddy did a test on the EGR and it wouldnt open. So I bought/installed a new one...still didnt pass.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

we have similar setups and I just failed for too high of CO at idle and 2500rpm. I just had a full tune up done also, injectors,plugs,wires,opti,fuel filter. car has a cat, i dont know wtf to do next.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

OK, with both of you something is wrong (Duh), What I mean I have done emission tunes on motors with heads and cams and pass and you have boltons, so? Did you try the top end cleaner, new oil (And thicker) and hotter plugs?
Old 02-06-2012, 07:33 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by xxRONNIExx
When the car had LT headers a shop did do some kind of tune to it to make it run somewhat "better"...
Still am wondering what this could be all about.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
OK, with both of you something is wrong (Duh), What I mean I have done emission tunes on motors with heads and cams and pass and you have boltons, so? Did you try the top end cleaner, new oil (And thicker) and hotter plugs?
Does that top end cleaner actually work? Also, I get fairly strong exhaust smell in the cabin. When I did my emissions testing, it was cold out and they closed the bay doors. I pretty much stunk out the place with exhaust fumes.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GreenBlood55
Does that top end cleaner actually work? Also, I get fairly strong exhaust smell in the cabin. When I did my emissions testing, it was cold out and they closed the bay doors. I pretty much stunk out the place with exhaust fumes.
only if there is carbon build up in the combustion chambers and tops of pistons, of course you cant tell unless the heads were off..
Old 02-06-2012, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xxRONNIExx
My buddy did a test on the EGR and it wouldnt open. So I bought/installed a new one...still didnt pass.
I'll bet you can do the test on the new one and it doesn't open either. Headers and back pressure sensing EGR valves don't work very well.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'll bet you can do the test on the new one and it doesn't open either. Headers and back pressure sensing EGR valves don't work very well.
^This guy does have a point. If your exhaust doesn't provide any backpressure, a perfectly good EGR valve will not work properly.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Village Troll

Pretty sure the EGR on a LT1 doesn't depend on back pressure to operate.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Yep, sure does.

Here is a decent tech article about them (mostly covers negative backpressure) - http://www.tomco-inc.com/Tech_Tips/ttt27.pdf

Another (more basic but touches on negative and positive) - http://www.howstuffinmycarworks.com/EGR_valve.html

If the valve has an "N" on it it is a negative backpressure. If it has a "P" on it, it is positive backpressure. Oddly, I have seen both on different LT1s.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

Man that sucks, What would happen if you don't get an inspection? I don't bother getting my cars inspected here.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Village Troll

Oddly, I have seen both on different LT1s.
What different LT1's have you seen them on?
Old 02-06-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

What different LT1's have you seen them on?
The specific recollection I was referring to was an instance where GM tech assist had me switch an Impala SS from a negative backpressure valve to positive. I then started looking at them on cars I serviced and didn't find a rhyme or reason as to what car had what valve on it.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Village Troll

Yep, sure does.

Here is a decent tech article about them (mostly covers negative backpressure) - http://www.tomco-inc.com/Tech_Tips/ttt27.pdf

Another (more basic but touches on negative and positive) - http://www.howstuffinmycarworks.com/EGR_valve.html

If the valve has an "N" on it it is a negative backpressure. If it has a "P" on it, it is positive backpressure. Oddly, I have seen both on different LT1s.

Well according to shoebox the negative BP EGR does indeed use exhaust back pressure to aid in its correct operation. Looks like we're both wrong:
http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_EGR.html
Oopsie. You were a tech?
Old 02-06-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well according to shoebox the negative BP EGR does indeed use exhaust back pressure to aid in its correct operation. Looks like we're both wrong:
http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_EGR.html
Oopsie. You were a tech?
I agree with shbox and haven't made any statements to the contrary.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Village Troll

Of course you didn't. So you really were a tech?

Quick Reply: Help!! Car won't pass smog for the 3rd time