LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 wont start code 36

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lt1 wont start code 36

I recently finished my supercharger install.
The first time I started it, it fired right up and I found a oil cooler line leaking at the bottom of the motor. I fixed the cooler line, started it back up and no more leak. Then I took off the balancer and supercharger pulley and checked it with a straightedge, i got it to sit flush. I ran it one more time to check the balancer and it did not want to start. After cranking for about 10 seconds it started up. The fans turned on right away and it reved at about 2000 rpms for about 30 seconds, and my check engine light came on. I pulled code 36 from the computer. Now my car won't start at all.
My delco opti, coil, and module are all less then 18 months old.
My car was running perfectly I got it smogged before I did the supercharger install. This was going to be the last time I ran the car before I towed it to the tuning shop and now it won't start. it ran with the supercharger at least 3 times for about 15 mins each time and the last time I started it I have problems. I didn't
Touch anything ignition related when I did the balancer, why would I have a problem randomly? My car has worked great for the last 1.5 years.
Any idea on what to start checking?
I had an appointment for a tune tomorrow and I really need to figure this out.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Code 36 is for the "hi resolution" signal being faulty at the ecu. So, check out the Opti pigtail and ecu connections before you replace the Opti.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

Look for corrosion at both ends of the Opti pig tail first.

Al 95 28
Old 02-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Launching!

did you throw a belt off the blower? i did and it ripped the temp sensors out of the front of the water pump, and messed up a bunch of connectors.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

I checked the opti harness last night. With key on engine off I unplugged it by the valve cover and tested the 4 wires coming from the PCM.
I got 5 Volts on two wires, 12 volts positive and a ground.
So from the PCM to opti connector by valve cover it seems good.
Should I unplug harness from the opti itself and check to see if I get the same volts? it's kind of a pain to unplug it from the opti.

My real concern is this stuff is pretty new, I did not touch the opti or harness. why would it run all year and right when I'm about to take it to be tuned it stops working. Because it hates me? Because it knows I've tied up all my money getting this supercharger together and won't be able to finish for a while if I have to buy a opti? Needless to say I am pretty frustrated with it right now. There is no way that the opti should be bad. It's about a year old and a Delphi unit which cost me about $350. The harness was replaced with the opti.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can get to the Opti end of the pigtail with something long and crooked like a dental pick or one of those hose hooker things. Just take your time and be careful not to break it.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cyteone
There is no way that the opti should be bad. It's about a year old and a Delphi unit which cost me about $350. The harness was replaced with the opti.
I purchased a brand new Opti from the GM dealership, car would not start, Brand New opti was bad..They did give me another and the car started right up..
Old 02-07-2012, 12:40 AM
Staging Lane

I did a little testing earlier and found I have no spark coming out of the coil.
I checked the wiring of the optispark connector, coil, ignition module, and the 3 engine grounds that mount to the coil bracket with the key on engine off.
I compared the volt reading for each pin in each connector to my brothers 95 LT1 trans am and everything looked good and matched his readings. I also took the coil and module from his car and tried it on mine... no go. His car works fine so this leads me to believe I need a new optispark. Opinions?
Old 02-07-2012, 02:06 AM
8 Second Club

I had an MSD opti give me a 36 code. Turns out there was a bit of oil in the bottom of the opti and there was a bunch of play in the rotor shaft. It also took along time to start. I hate to say it, but it really sounds like an opti or it's harness.

Last edited by fex77k; 02-07-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

My last opti did the same **** and had code 36. Usually ends up being a toasted opti but check the harness just to be sure as stated they get corroded up very easily.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

I pulled the harness directly from the optispark and got the same volts I had before when I tested it by the valve cover; two 5 volt signals, a 12 volt positive, and a ground. So it seems my connector is fine. I replaced it the last time I did the opti so it isn't that old.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

I ended up getting 2 used gm optisparks for $35. The guy had them for spares and sold his car so I got a great deal. I put one of the distributors in the car with a new cap & rotor. I did not bolt the water pump back on and just plugged everything in to test start it. It fired right up and I immediately shut it off.
Now everything is back together and working great.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:36 PM

my car starts after about 10 seconds.. if it starts it feels powerful.. no problem.. but with SES light on.. scanned it and found the code 36.. we checked the distributor.. one man said we gotta change the ignition control module.. another mechanic said its full of oil tomorrow we're gonna have a look again..
Old 05-09-2013, 04:17 PM

the repairman took down lots of things today.. then its been understood that the last owner changed the distributor.. but didn't replaced it well.. so all the trouble is because of a bolt.. everything's fine.. now my car starts in a second..

Quick Reply: Lt1 wont start code 36