LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help me pick a 58mm TB!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me pick a 58mm TB!

I'm doing some top end work on my 383. And installing a plate setup. And going to a 58mm from current 52mm.

I'm torn between a proffesional products TB, or a TPIS billet TB. I know the TPIS one is a nicer design and looks much cleaner. But I will need to strip the coating and polish it to match my intake. The proffesional products won't need to be striped plus I would save 200.00 for other things(caugh seats ).

I know you get what you pay for. And I can afford the tpis unit. But more money for other things is always nice.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-12-2012, 11:00 PM
TECH Regular

Arizona Speed & Marine makes a nice TB... Might want to check it out..

I have a TPiS that has the billet aluminum finish.. I really like it and am happy with my decision.
About a month ago, they said they were making a new batch of TBs soon. If you are lucky and they haven't made the new batch yet they can set one aside for you. Give them a call. They're really nice people.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run a Professional Products 58mm polished TB for a few years now with no issues. Spend the money on your nitrous set up.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FormulaJoe
Arizona Speed & Marine makes a nice TB... Might want to check it out..

I have a TPiS that has the billet aluminum finish.. I really like it and am happy with my decision.
About a month ago, they said they were making a new batch of TBs soon. If you are lucky and they haven't made the new batch yet they can set one aside for you. Give them a call. They're really nice people.
I gave them a call already and the don't have any uncoated ones they can send me. I'm running there ported stock one right now. And really like it. But its time to step up.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BOLO
I run a Professional Products 58mm polished TB for a few years now with no issues. Spend the money on your nitrous set up.
How is the casting finish? I do custom polishing on the side for people. And have all the bells and whistles are far as equipment goes.but you can only do so much with a poor casting.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would recommend the AS&M. I've used the stocker, BBK/Edelbrock and the Holley unit. The BBK wasn't bad, the Holley tb blades would stick and also required slotting the TPS. The AS&M bolted up, looks great and performs with no quirks.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If price isn't an issue go with the AZSM one. If you don't mind saving some cash with a lil bit of mod time to the Holley go that route. I have the Holley. No sticking issues but I did slot my TPS to get it perfect.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm going to be swapping my cheapo BBK for a TPIS very soon.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:01 PM
11 Second Club

TPiS hands down IMO. I was thinking about special ordering it just polished from them, but I'm glad I didn't as I like the anodized "Plutonium Grey" a lot.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

Joez96, do you have any pictures of it on the engine in the car?

The anodized finish doesn't look too bad, but I want a bit of a black and shiny things theme with my engine, so I went polished..

TPiS is $50 cheaper then the AS&M, has a roller bearing design for the blade shaft, and, if you have a extra super fancy ebay TB plate like I do , you can reuse it on the TPiS ..
Old 02-14-2012, 11:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been running the summit throttle body for over 4 years now, and I had bought it used.

Quick Reply: Help me pick a 58mm TB!