LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need help with the water pump drive gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help with the water pump drive gear

So I need to get the waterpump drive gear out cause my block is going to a machine shop. I was reading in the book and it says you need a puller, just wondering if there's another way to get it out, and also if mine may be ruined. It looks like it wore a spot(like a grove) on the edge of it. Sorry I don't have a pic, if you don't understand what i mean ill try and get one.

Also, I have the oil cooler off, and I see I can just screw the oil filter onto it. Would I be ok to leave the oil cooler out and just bypass it by running a hose from the water pump straight to the radiator?

Last edited by TheTransporter69; 02-13-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Water pump drive or oil pump? Your post says both. No you shouldn't need a puller for either.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

In either case, you don't need a press. Unbolt the cam timing gear, and remove it along with the timing chain. Unbolt the retainer plate holding the wp drive to the block, then hammer it out from the lifter valley side (assuming the intake manifold is removed). That's what I did, at least.

Can't tell you over the internet if the gear is worn out. If you run an electric waterpump, you don't even need the wp drive, but discussing ewp's here is apparently as polarizing as discussing politics or religion.

Originally Posted by TheTransporter69
Also, I have the oil cooler off, and I see I can just screw the oil filter onto it. Would I be ok to leave the oil cooler out and just bypass it by running a hose from the water pump straight to the radiator?
Correct, you can leave it off. Just go to the parts store and ask for a lower radiator return hose for a non-oil-cooler-equipped vehicle. Should be about 2 feet long / 1" diameter.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mcalus
Water pump drive or oil pump? Your post says both. No you shouldn't need a puller for either.
sorry fixed now. I am talking about water pump drive gear. The chilton manual says to use puller J 39243. Its like a bearing pressed into the block.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Alex94TAGT
In either case, you don't need a press. Unbolt the cam timing gear, and remove it along with the timing chain. Unbolt the retainer plate holding the drive to the block, then hammer it out from the lifter valley side (assuming the intake manifold is removed). That's what I did, at least.

Correct, you can leave it off. Just go to the parts store and ask for a lower radiator return hose for a non-oil-cooler-equipped vehicle. Should be about 2 feet long / 1" diameter.

Ok thanks, So you can just hammer that bearing out? Right now I'm kinda thinking the thing might need to be replaced how do you get the new one in does it just slide in?
Old 02-13-2012, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TheTransporter69
Ok thanks, So you can just hammer that bearing out? Right now I'm kinda thinking the thing might need to be replaced how do you get the new one in does it just slide in?
We actually just had a thread here recently on that. You have options -- take your pick:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...do-you-do.html
Old 02-13-2012, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Alex94TAGT
We actually just had a thread here recently on that. You have options -- take your pick:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...do-you-do.html
wow haha perfect thanks a lot. I'll try the hammer method I guess too then. Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: Need help with the water pump drive gear