LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

96 z upgrades..?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 z upgrades..?

i've had my 96 z with the automatic for about a year now and need upgrades. Im a broke college kid but will have a full time job this summer for a little income. i already have the obvious coi, cat-back system and a zgate autoshifter modded to fit. in the next couple weeks im planning on upgrading to a set of longtube pacesetters with a cutout and y pipe. what would be the best step to take next? i was thinking cam or differential? any opinions?
Old 02-14-2012, 11:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A decent stall, like a Yank, Circle D, or Vigilante along with some drag radials will make a huge difference and also allow you to more comfortably do a more aggressive cam at a later point if you choose to go that route. Make sure you grab a tranny cooler then too.

Longtubes, ORY, and a catback are a great place to start. Good choice on the pacesetters. There's a ton of different cat back exhausts to choose from.

Another great step is weight reduction and suspension. Take out the spare tire, get rid of the EGR/AIR stuff, buy some lighter rims, ect ect. Subframe connectors, panhard rod, strut tower brace, ect are all great starting points too.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:46 PM

already has wider rear tires. any idea on prices for any of that or good brands?
Old 02-14-2012, 01:00 PM

and i know that going up in size for the tb is a waste without a ported intake manifold so how about work on heads, intake manifold, basically just the top end? i'd like to have a plan before i just start buyin some random parts. maybe even good combinations and packages online
Old 02-14-2012, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rbgetz
and i know that going up in size for the tb is a waste without a ported intake manifold so how about work on heads, intake manifold, basically just the top end? i'd like to have a plan before i just start buyin some random parts. maybe even good combinations and packages online
Just call Advanced Induction or Lloyd Elliot for a heads/cam package or visit their websites for ideas...

Quick Reply: 96 z upgrades..?