LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil Pump selection

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012 | 09:37 AM
Launching!

Default Oil Pump selection

I'm running the Canton LT1 F-body pan (part # 15-242T) which holds 6 quarts between pan and filter.
My motor will turn 7,000-7,100 RPM quiet often at the track.

Do I want to run standard volume/standard pressure, high volume/standard pressure, high volume/high pressure or (if possible to get) standard volume/high pressure?
Old 02-18-2012 | 10:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by zraffz
I'm running the Canton LT1 F-body pan (part # 15-242T) which holds 6 quarts between pan and filter.
My motor will turn 7,000-7,100 RPM quiet often at the track.

Do I want to run standard volume/standard pressure, high volume/standard pressure, high volume/high pressure or (if possible to get) standard volume/high pressure?
STD Pressure/Volume is what is recommended. LT1s have a pretty crappy oil pump drive setup, so you dont want to street it too much - plus those "high performance" pumps actually cost you horsepower.

I have the Canton 242t oil pan with a Melling Select 10554 Pump and the Canton pickup(P/N 023 IIRC?). OEM AC Delco oil pump drive with the Wicked Drive Saver on top. The non "Select" pumps from Melling are a thinner casting, and have a history of braking so I would avoid them and stick to the 5 digit part numbers. If your clearances are high and your motor needs more oil pressure, you can always just get the higher pressure GM spring separately for a few bucks.
Old 02-18-2012 | 10:45 AM
Village Troll
20 Year Member

Depends on your bearing clearances. If your motor retains stock clearances then use a standard volume pump with a high pressure spring. If the bearing clearances are not stock tolerances then you need to talk to the builder to see what they recommend.
It is best to use a Canton pickup with their pan. Once you decide on which pump, call Canton, give them the pump info so they can send you the correct pickup.
Old 02-18-2012 | 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

From what I've seen, the high volume pumps have a tendency to eat up the oil pump drive teeth on the dummy distributor shaft. Perhaps it's also related to the material of the drive gear they've installed on aftermarket camshafts, but the increased drag of the HV pump doesn't likely help.

I use the Canton 242T as well. Stock volume/stock pressure M155 pump with 3/4" pickup inlet, added a GM Performance 3848911 high pressure relief spring, using a Canton 20-013 pickup and Melling IS-55E driveshaft with the metal collar. If the "select" pumps are a better casting, then you should heed Puck's advice and get one of those instead. My engine's back out for some changes, and everything looks great. No wear on the drive gear. I'd made a custom metal retainer for the dummy distributor shaft as well.

If you have longtubes, depending on the brand and collector location, I'd recommend relocating the low oil sensor to the front-side of the Canton's sump.

Be sure to seal the oil return port on the passenger side of the Canton -- they tend to leak. I used high-temp red loctite.

--

Last edited by Alex94TAGT; 02-18-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil Pump selection