LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Can I use EFI connection Timing cover and use 1x Cam signal for my GEN 7 DFI ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 01:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can I use EFI connection Timing cover and use 1x Cam signal for my GEN 7 DFI ???

Need some help from anyone who can understand the specifics better than I can. I figured why not just ask out loud and maybe someone can chime in.

Right now I am running the gen 7 dfi and using a dual sync distributor. As you know the dual sync requires a cam and crank signal and this comes from the dual sync distributor right now. For accuracy I am trying to get a better and more reliable signal for both cam and crank and be able to use a regular small cap Dizzy without the unreliable electronics inside it.

For Crank, I have on order an ATI magnetic shell that will go on my damper. I will use an msd pickup and have that sorted as the dfi will read the signal.

For Cam, I am thinking/want to run the efi connection billet timing cover and their cam sensor which from what i remember (havnt looked in a few months so forgive me if I forget) is a 1x on the end of the cam.
my question is can I get this setup to provide a 1x signal to my gen 7 dfi?

Furthermore if it IS possible... then i think i can just shave off teeth on the efi crank wheel down to 4 and give my dfi a crank as well??

with a cam pickup right on the cam and a crank off the damper I would feel comfortable knowing they are accurate.

any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:05 PM
10 Second Club

run a crank trigger/damper like you mentioned for the crank signal. use a modified msd pickup in the distributor for the cam signal. cam sync doesn't need to be exact, just tells the computer "hey next crank pulse is #1 TDC" and should be 50-70 crank degrees BTDC.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

Thats something I never even considered.. That the cam didn't need to be as accurate as the crank. It makes sense now wow .. After all it is just a 1x .

Now I could just run the accel dual sync for cam pickup and have the capability to use crank is the mad fails for any reason. I guess I could just keep a spare dual sync in the car.

The biggest reason for wanting the cam pickup from the efi connection setup was reliability. I just figure keeping any electronics out of the distributor would be better.

I guess I would have to figure out what type of a signal the gm ls sensor will send out and if/how to convert it to what the DFI requires. Problem is I'm clueless about electronics when it comes to signal types etc
Old 02-23-2012, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just drilled and tapped the stock 94 front cover. I used a short msd mag pickup.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

Nice! Did you do that for cam or crank? What did you use as a trigger ? Trying to visualize it.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nastyc4
Nice! Did you do that for cam or crank? What did you use as a trigger ? Trying to visualize it.
cam signal. the msd mag pick up comes with a really strong magnet for the trigger. i epoxied it to the the cam gear to make sure it would not move.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-2346/

Last edited by BIGCAT7274; 03-01-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

I know the cam moves half as fast as the crank but do you think the epoxy is reliable enough ? Is there any other way to mount a magnet? I really like this idea thanks for the input! Any pics ? Also are you running a dfi or fast etc??
Old 02-23-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We run a classic fast box. I put the magnet on probably 5 years ago. It hasn't moved yet. If you wanted you could counter sink it into the gear. But I don't think its necessary.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

That sounds fantastic I may try this. Thank you!! Do you have any pics of the setup? I'm guessing it fits fine behind the water pump housing? What are you using for crank? I considered an msd flying magnet but there's barely any room in a y body at the front of the motor so I went with the ati shell. I had a 96 cover and sensor that uses a 4 tooth reluctor but again I'm clueless as to what type of signal it priloduces and if/how I could make it compatible with the gen 7
Old 02-24-2012, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am at south George motorsport park running 5.70 index. Not sure if I will have a chance to get a pic posted till later.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

Np at all! Pm sent your way. Gl this weekend !

Quick Reply: Can I use EFI connection Timing cover and use 1x Cam signal for my GEN 7 DFI ???