LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Spark plug change tips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug change tips?

I changed the 4 plugs for my trans am lt1 on the driver side but just by looking at the passenger side I about got a headache. Plan to tackle the other side next weekend. Any suggestions. First time doing a spark plug change on this car and was not about to pay a shop ridiculous money to do it for me. Any tips for routing my 10.2mm wires are welcome as well
Old 02-26-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Stock manifolds? When I did them I got them all the passenger side from the top, I was laying sidewise across the manifold with my arm shoved down and in to reach them, takes some patience, and its MUCH harder the first time around.

For wires try and keep them as close to the stock routeing as you can, seems to work the best.

Id advise getting long tubes to make future plug changes easier haha
Old 02-26-2012, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZFreie
Stock manifolds? When I did them I got them all the passenger side from the top, I was laying sidewise across the manifold with my arm shoved down and in to reach them, takes some patience, and its MUCH harder the first time around.

For wires try and keep them as close to the stock routeing as you can, seems to work the best.

Id advise getting long tubes to make future plug changes easier haha
Yes stock manifolds. I had just got done with driver side and looked at the passenger side and was like F THAT. Took car off jacks and came back inside. Long tubes are in my near future even with california emissions. Never had a problem with visual smog techs don't usually care about the visual from my experience. Thanks for the tip I figured I would have to go at it from the top cause looking from the bottom there is no way.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've gotten to where I just drop the starter to get to the passenger side plugs from under the car. Sounds ridiculous, but it works for me and I actually spend less time this way. Also, get one of those shortened spark plug sockets by SLP--comes in handy in certain spots.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Launching!

I am 6'4 and I sat my *** on the intake manifold to get to the passenger side... another thing I learned (although it is extremely uncomfortable) is to hold the ratchet in your right hand, chest facing the back of the car. Either way it is miserable.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

I took off the starter to get the back plug from underneath which would have been doable but I snapped the plug in half and the other 3 were fairly easy from the top with the alternator off
Old 02-26-2012, 09:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 96SilverZ
I took off the starter to get the back plug from underneath which would have been doable but I snapped the plug in half and the other 3 were fairly easy from the top with the alternator off
forgot to mention i take the alternator off as well

Quick Reply: Spark plug change tips?