LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Tranny/Clutch Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012 | 10:09 AM
On The Tree

Default Tranny/Clutch Help

Last week I let my dad drive me car (First Mistake). He called me and said he lost the clutch (pedal would go straight to the floor).

We got the car back to the house, I looked underneath and there was a bunch of fluid leaking from the slave cylinder...so I thought, no problem, just go get another slave cylinder.

I was a little ticked because I just replaced the clutch, slave, and master cylinder for the clutch only about 2000 miles ago.

Anyways, here is the problem...

I got a new slave cylinder, bled the system, and put in the slave cylinder. When I pushed the pedal it went about half way then got rock hard...then I depressed the pedal and went to press it again and the pedal was rock hard.

After removal of the slave cylinder...I noticed the shift fork where the master cylinder rod connects was stuck fully depressed (which means the car is stuck with the clutch engaged).

I just moved and don't really have a way to pull the transmission from the engine with my equipment.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Has anyone ever got around this without removing the transmission?

Any help and input is appreciated.

Otherwise I'm gonna have to get her towed to the shop and have them do their thing.
Old 03-05-2012 | 02:43 PM
TECH Regular

Clutch fork is stuck on something I'm thinking...

If you can't actually take the tranny out, I would buy a few long 4" bolts with the same metric thread as your tranny-to-bellhousing bolts. Swap them with the tranny-to-bellhousing bolts, then unbolt your shifter, driveshaft, and torque arm. Slide a regular floor jack under the tailshaft housing of your tranny and unbolt the cross brace. This will allow you to slide the tranny back a few inches without actually removing the whole thing. You can also unbolt and replace your clutch fork from there if its broken.
Old 03-05-2012 | 07:22 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the advice...I'm really stumped to why this happened.

The forks are pretty tough, so I think it's probably more of the throw-out bearing than the fork...
Old 03-06-2012 | 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

Our clutch forks are damn near bullet-proof. I've never damaged or bent one but I've heard of guys that have.

It very well could be a problem with the throwout bearing, or possibly the little clip that attaches it to the diaphragm of the pressure plate. Unfortunately you're going to have to slide that tranny back and get a better look.
Old 03-06-2012 | 09:19 PM
Teching In

Hey Jesup, I was reading this thread, then noticed your sig..... hmmmm
Jokes aside, good luck with the fix.
Old 03-07-2012 | 08:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mudluver27
Hey Jesup, I was reading this thread, then noticed your sig..... hmmmm
Jokes aside, good luck with the fix.
lol...that's been my mantra with this car since I bought. Second night I had it I cracked the pinion gear...it's been downhill ever since...anything from rod bearings to electrical gremlins.

I still love to drive it. It's not a DD, so i'm not really in a hurry. I think I'm just gonna have it taken to my guy who does all the work I can't.

I've got AAA, so I can get it towed for free. It's just that I moved about 3 months ago and don't have near the work space to tackle projects anymore.

Quick Reply: Tranny/Clutch Help