LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Shortblock Questions: NO2 and Boost

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Shortblock Questions: NO2 and Boost

So i know alot of people when they build shortblocks they either go one direction or the other but to what extent? My 355 was built and rings gapped for a 150 hit but the more i keep thinking ill likely never hit it and if i do it will be couple years from now and maybe a few outings a year at most. Im no guru by any means but if i decide to boost it will be effective and safe? I keep seeing alot of supercharger setups in the classifieds and its got me thinking about grabbing one. If it means i have to start fresh again on a shortblock i wont touch it and leave it as is just wanted some feedback. Plan would be to grab some 64cc heads to bring down the CR and bolt on the blower and run 8lbs of boost making in excess of 450-500rwhp.

Thoughts?
Old 03-05-2012, 03:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
So i know alot of people when they build shortblocks they either go one direction or the other but to what extent? My 355 was built and rings gapped for a 150 hit but the more i keep thinking ill likely never hit it and if i do it will be couple years from now and maybe a few outings a year at most. Im no guru by any means but if i decide to boost it will be effective and safe? I keep seeing alot of supercharger setups in the classifieds and its got me thinking about grabbing one. If it means i have to start fresh again on a shortblock i wont touch it and leave it as is just wanted some feedback. Plan would be to grab some 64cc heads to bring down the CR and bolt on the blower and run 8lbs of boost making in excess of 450-500rwhp.

Thoughts?
We can't say either way without knowing any specs at all on the shortblock.

A stock crank rebuild with arp rod bolts put together and balanced properly will easily make your goals...but a cast aftermarket crank thrown in together in someones backyard may not make it through break in.

Edit - posted from cell and didn't see sig. If you are forged, and can afford it, then hell yea boost it.You wont be able to boost a ton with flat tops and that much compression, but you don't need a lot of boost for 450-500rwhp.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

That was exactly my intention Puck, the bottom has a stock crank with forged mahle pistons, forged eagle rods, arp studded mains, and arp rod bolts. I figure id be able to get the compression a bit lower then stock with some 64cc heads and run 8lbs which should net my goals. I just dont know how much rings gapped for the jug would effect when boosting?
Old 03-05-2012, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for it man. I've run 40 pounds of boost on stock bottom ends (different engine, smaller ring gap than LT1). It is all about the tune up if you hurt anything or not on boost.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Think of it this way the stock LT1 has 10.5:1 scr and hyperucraptic pistons and these supercharger systems are designed to run on stock motors. keep your stock heads and have them ported and add the 8# of "intercooled boost" and make big power.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Currently around 11:1 with a 5cc piston, 0 zeck, .030 gasket, and 60cc AFR heads. If i bump up to a .039 gasket and a 64cc head it should put me in the 10.3/4:1 neighbourhood. Have a bottom end to take it and easily run 8lb of boost no problem.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what gap are your rings set to?

Quick Reply: Shortblock Questions: NO2 and Boost