LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Experts help me out here

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LT1 Experts help me out here

Ok so I have a 1994 LT1 Z28, need some help i took out some mid headers off the car since they had a leak, I will have to take them to an exhaust shot and see if they can weld the air pipe fitting off and was wondering if I should weld the EGR too?

Well when taking them off (a pain in the ***) one of the connectors were the o2 connects to the wiring harness broke and not sure how to fix it? (1st Picture included)

Also I had to unscrew this sensor, not sure what it is but when I unscrew it it dropped a whole lot of antifreeze and water so can anyone tell me what this sensor is for? it had no pigtail connect it to it some im worried as to what its used for? (Second Pic)

Old 03-07-2012, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The second pic is your coolant temp sensor. It should be in the drivers side head towards the front. i cant tell from your pic which head its in. IIRc, the pigtail for it is in the same small harness as the sensors in the front of the water pump.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

re pin the harness with a new pigtail or clip. and its a coolant sensor in the driver head.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the coolant sensor is between the 6th and 8th plug is that in the correct section? also im leaking oil and read that lt1's leak from the intake, how can I know if is my case?

Also

Should I weld the EGR off? since im going to weld the AIR should i do this one too? do they sell EGR blocking plates for LT1s?
Old 03-07-2012, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It would be far more expensive to have the fittings welded shut than if you bought a couple dollar pipe plugs for the AIR and block-off plates for the EGR (try a search).

The sensor you unplugged is your coolant temperature sensor, HOWEVER, for some reason it's been installed in the passenger side head. The factory location is supposed to be on the driver side. Look there and I'm sure you'll find an unused plug.

You can repin the harness connector. Try a few of the site sponsors like eficonnections.com
Old 03-07-2012, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ramair95ta, question the air tube is on the headers itself and it looks circular not the oval shape but like a circle not sure how to describe it lol
Old 03-07-2012, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is the connector, its P/N 12102741. Disregard the LS1 coil title, the part is used in LS1s also. You will have to pop the pins out and slide them into the new connector.

Here is the temp sending unit, P/N is 25037332

Look around you might be able to find them cheaper elsewhere
Old 03-07-2012, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the headers are kinda the same as this

https://ls1tech.com/forums/non-lsx-p...t-headers.html
Old 03-08-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone??

I think Im missing the connector to that sensor, anyone know where its located??
Old 03-08-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...TL-001&eq=&Tp= its easily found with google man

Last edited by Valkyn; 03-08-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No I mean from the car engine harness to the coolant sensor were is the wiring harness that connects to it? Also can anyone help me how I can cap my headers here is a picture

https://ls1tech.com/forums/non-lsx-p...t-headers.html
Old 03-09-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone
Old 03-09-2012, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You need the connector that plugs into the coolant temp sensor in the head correct? Thats what I linked a few posts up.

If you need something else please post a picture or explain it better.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:53 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by needtransam
anyone??

I think Im missing the connector to that sensor, anyone know where its located??
I think it was already mentioned by "RamAir95TA" that the "Temp Gauge Sensor" is mounted on the wrong head.

The factory has the coolant temp gauge sensor on the other side of your engine thats why you cant find the connector to plug it in.

The connector should be somewhere in the front of the other side (drivers side) of your engine.

Shbox's pic

Last edited by LT1; 03-09-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LT1
I think it was already mentioned by "RamAir95TA" that the "Temp Gauge Sensor" is mounted on the wrong head.

The factory has the coolant temp gauge sensor on the other side of your engine thats why you cant find the connector to plug it in.

The connector should be somewhere in the front of the other side (drivers side) of your engine.

Shbox's pic

Yeah thats the one but like you guys saw mine is on the passenger plan on moving it to its original position to find the correct wire that connects to it
Old 03-10-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Idk what the HELL all yall are smoking but the busted connector in the first picture is NOT associated with the coolant sensor screwed into the PS head the coolant sensor isnt 4pin its 2pin the busted one pictured is clearly 4pin.. its a o2 connection..
OP check to see that a coolant sensor is still located on the DS head and that its plugged in.. Also check that there is one also installed and plugged in on the front of the water pump.. If both are ,
then "(the one on the PS is just serving as a plug)"..and no wire for it exists on that side Of the motor. its common to install mechanical aftermarket gauge senders on the PS port and maybe at one time there was?
You can buy a replacement weather pack connector and pin removal tool then repin the new one.

Last edited by defaultexistence; 03-10-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
Idk what the HELL all yall are smoking but the busted connector in the first picture is NOT associated with the coolant sensor screwed into the PS head the coolant sensor isnt 4pin its 2pin the busted one pictured is clearly 4pin.. its a o2 connection..
Did you even read the thread dude. I linked him the o2 connector pigtail and the coolant temp sensor.

He needs to see if there is a sensor in the drivers side head, if not he needs to pull the plug out on the drivers side and swap the sensor there and plug the hole in the passenger side.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

It looks like the heads have been off and put back on the opposite banks. Couple of things first. The harness for the temp gauge is on the engine harness. Not sure about 94's but on the 97 it is a Single wire. Green in color. It comes from the Driver side bank wire harness that has the injectors plugs, coil, ICM, ect coming out of it. It exits the harness at the front of the intake where the coil wire and ICM wires come out. It then goes down and under the #1 cylinder exhaust up to the sensor. The sensor is a single prong as well. Also check to see if the steam pipe is installed on the back of the heads for me. I'm really curious.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaycenk
It looks like the heads have been off and put back on the opposite banks check to see if the steam pipe is installed on the back of the heads for me. I'm really curious.
The heads cannot be installed on the wrong banks, only one face of the head has the proper size threaded hole for the steam pipe bolts...
Old 03-10-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Valkyn
Did you even read the thread dude. I linked him the o2 connector pigtail and the coolant temp sensor.
Yes you sure did.Yes I read it and no i clearly wasnt talking to you

Quick Reply: LT1 Experts help me out here