LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need A/C help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need A/C help.

Hopefully my LT1 guys can give me some assistance....

Ever since I bought my car in 2008 my A/C hasn't worked and I finally decided I want to get it figured out for the few hot days we get in summer here in Nebraska.

Here's what I checked.
Relay is good
Fuse isn't blown
system seems to be charged since it leaked some out when I pressed the shrader valve and I tried to charge it once and it wouldn't take.

I'm just stumped on why it won't kick on at all and I want to figure it out.

Any suggestions??
Old 03-12-2012, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just cause it has pressure in the system does not mean it is fully charged. You have a low pressure switch that will disable the clutch/compressor if the system does not have a minimum charge to prevent damaging the compressor since the oil is carried with the 134a in the system. Get some guages on it and see where your pressure is. My bet is that is needs a charge and has the typical compressor case seal issue that ALL LT-1's suffer from and it will leak out again over time. When you charge it add some dye to help trace where the leaks are. GL!!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Just cause it has pressure in the system does not mean it is fully charged. You have a low pressure switch that will disable the clutch/compressor if the system does not have a minimum charge to prevent damaging the compressor since the oil is carried with the 134a in the system. Get some guages on it and see where your pressure is. My bet is that is needs a charge and has the typical compressor case seal issue that ALL LT-1's suffer from and it will leak out again over time. When you charge it add some dye to help trace where the leaks are. GL!!
Alright that helps! I'll have to give that a try this week and see what I got. Thanks!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would replace any & all seals/orings first then have it pulled down & charged with die in the system. A low freon condition will not turn on as well as a locked up compressor clutch or high freon pressure. If the system has the high pressure sensor. I havent looked at my pile of parts to see yet lol. Go get the system evacuated & then replace seals & orifice or the block thingy. If your compressor is caked with dirt its probaby the culprit as rubber seals deteriorate. Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Need A/C help.