LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1.6 roller rockers

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.6 roller rockers

Im thinking about buying comp cams magnum 1.6 s/a roller rockers. Right now my engine is completely stock with 69,000 miles. I have full bolt ons and 4.10 gears with a PCM tune. Would I benefit at all from just rockers right now? And should I get a re tune for the rockers? Thanks in advance
Old 03-12-2012, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes rockers will be a big benifit. The only concern you might have is that the stock valvesprings are really not meant to handle more lift that the 1.6 rockers would supply. I have done 1.6 rockers on stock valvesprings several times on high mileage motors and never broken a spring...but there are plenty of people that will tell you it shouldn't be done. In reality they're right...it's a much better idea to use a better spring. If you're going to stay stock with you're cam the LT4 valvesprings would be a good choice. They'll handle .525 lift and maybe even a little higher, which with the stock cam you wouldn't see lift that high. In short yes you will see a power increase at the risk of broken springs and dropped valves if you don't upgrade the springs. As far as the tune goes if you have an LT4 knock module (less sensitive to noise) you won't need a tune but if you don't have one and you don't have the computer retuned for the noisy rockers then the computer is going to back off timing and you'll lose power. It's like $50 for a retune and most people sell LT4 knock modules for around that price. Hope this helps. Oh and those LT4 valvesprings are $42 from Summit and $37 from Jegs. They even sell lightweight retainers for like $28 extra. Cheap insurance when doing rockers if you ask me.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes it would help but honestly you pry wouldn't notice a huge difference an no if the car is already tuned you would not need to tune it again
Old 03-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by za355tx
Yes rockers will be a big benifit. The only concern you might have is that the stock valvesprings are really not meant to handle more lift that the 1.6 rockers would supply. I have done 1.6 rockers on stock valvesprings several times on high mileage motors and never broken a spring...but there are plenty of people that will tell you it shouldn't be done. In reality they're right...it's a much better idea to use a better spring. If you're going to stay stock with you're cam the LT4 valvesprings would be a good choice. They'll handle .525 lift and maybe even a little higher, which with the stock cam you wouldn't see lift that high. In short yes you will see a power increase at the risk of broken springs and dropped valves if you don't upgrade the springs. As far as the tune goes if you have an LT4 knock module (less sensitive to noise) you won't need a tune but if you don't have one and you don't have the computer retuned for the noisy rockers then the computer is going to back off timing and you'll lose power. It's like $50 for a retune and most people sell LT4 knock modules for around that price. Hope this helps. Oh and those LT4 valvesprings are $42 from Summit and $37 from Jegs. They even sell lightweight retainers for like $28 extra. Cheap insurance when doing rockers if you ask me.
Thanks that answers all the questions I was going to ask. Any opinions on the comp magnum rockers?
Old 03-12-2012, 08:32 PM
8 Second Club

I have done 1.6 rockers on stock valvesprings several times on high mileage motors and never broken a spring...but there are plenty of people that will tell you it shouldn't be done. In reality they're right...it's a much better idea to use a better spring.
I measured some stock LT1 springs for bind and I only had to go to .480 something before they were maxed out.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fex77k
I measured some stock LT1 springs for bind and I only had to go to .480 something before they were maxed out.
Meaning what? Good or bad?
Old 03-13-2012, 10:26 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT1Air
Meaning what? Good or bad?
Meaning I wouldn't run them on anything, but a stock valvetrain. They run into bind far below most cams and with 1.6's it plain won't work at all. Springs first then rockers, the stock springs are not performance parts.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Meaning stock springs are not sufficient for the stock cam especially when 1.6rr are introduced....... I have had stock springs and 1.6s for about 4 years... I am now building a new set up so springs will be added
Old 03-13-2012, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1Air
Thanks that answers all the questions I was going to ask. Any opinions on the comp magnum rockers?
They are just roller tipped, you would benefit more with a full roller rocker.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

Yup you need a full roller rocker arm. With the rest of the setup being stock...you could go with a 3/8 stud self aligning rocker and be just dandy. Summit sells Scorpion rockers for like $223 plus $12 for shipping, even with springs that's under $300 shipped for a smooth 10-15 rwhp gain with the added lift and massive amounts of friction reduction.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I happen to have a mixed set of scorpion 1.5ex. And 1.6intake 3/8 stud SA NIB for sale
Old 03-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Yup you need a full roller rocker arm. With the rest of the setup being stock...you could go with a 3/8 stud self aligning rocker and be just dandy. Summit sells Scorpion rockers for like $223 plus $12 for shipping, even with springs that's under $300 shipped for a smooth 10-15 rwhp gain with the added lift and massive amounts of friction reduction.
can you post the link.. cant find them

Quick Reply: 1.6 roller rockers