LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 not wanting to idle or run right.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default LT1 not wanting to idle or run right.

Ok this might get pretty long. It started out a couple years ago when the car ( 94 Camaro )was down for a few months to get the opti changed. It turns out that my MSD box went out and not my OPTI. Mechanic discovered that after installing the brand new Opti. The stock ignition is hooked back up now. Then my starter went out. so i replaced it. Then my damn brother left the fuel pump switch on resulting in a **** load of gas getting in my oil. So we changed the oil and spark plugs. then noticed my Aeromotive Fuel pressure regulator was leaking so i got a stock one and put back on it.

After that the car wanted to run but just wouldnt fully start up. so we drained all of the somewhat old gas in it out and put in fresh, along with a new fuel filter and new spark plugs again. the new ones were fouled out again. Now the car will crank and start all day long but it won't idle on its own for more than a second or two. sometimes not at all. Also there seems to be a very small but noticeable noise coming from the passenger side under the valve cover. I've been told if the rocker arms arent torqued down right it will affect the valve opening and closing and could be whats giving me a problem. Oh ye I almost forgot. When you rev it sometimes it will pop back through the exhaust. Already checked the Opti and none of the wires are crossed.

Last edited by TheBigAL; 03-12-2012 at 07:28 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 03-13-2012, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So did someone adjust the valves while it was down? A motor that hasnt run in quite a while will not have oil everywhere it is supposed to be so until it runs a bit it will make some taps and such here and there. Check fuel pressure and ensure each injector is firing correctly (also make sure the mechanic put all the plug wires in the right places.)
Old 03-13-2012, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

We checked the the plug wires. They are all ok.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will it stay running if you crack the throttle a little? < just wondering to see if it straightens up after it's ran a minute or so.
Since youve eliminated the plug wire location as a suspect for the exhaust back-fire, If I knew the lifters were full of oil and warm, I have to agree that it's possible that the rockers are misadjusted. Of course the Coil, fuel system, computers temp sensor and bad plugs could also be the culprit.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go back over everything that has been messed with recently. By you or the mechanic. 9 times out of 10 when you start throwing parts at it and it dose not fix it you mess with something and forget to finish putting it back correctly. check fuel pressure, check that the opti harness is ok, recheck the plug wires by labeling each one at the opti and then checking against the manual. and then trace each one all the way back. So many times guys say they have checked them and that they are right just to find out in the end that one is not connected all the way or 2 wires are crossed up.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

Yes if held at around 1500 rpm it will run all day long . But will sometimes pop back if you do a couple quick revs. When driving it you can feel it surging pretty bad from about 0 - 20 mph. As for how it runs at WOT I'm not really sure. I'm not ready to flatfoot it yet since i just got it back running. The surging could be partially due to it being tuned for the wrong cam. It's tuned for a CC306. Not sure which cam it has in it now. When i first got the car it surged a little, then one of the 02 sensors fell out and it cleared up after that so maybe it's not because of the tune after all.

I'm thinking the problem may lie in the rocker arms. We checked all of the pushrods to make sure we didnt have a bent one. Very possible that theyre not torqued down right. What are the torque specs for the rocker arms? I guess my next step will be that.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Check the fuel pressure,mine acted similar turned out I only had 10psi of fuel pressure. Culprit was a torn fuel line inside the tank.

Quick Reply: LT1 not wanting to idle or run right.