LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Dash mounted Datalogger

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 01:00 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dash mounted Datalogger

I recently saw my buddy has a bully dog system hooked up to his 03' Sierra. It comes with a small screen that mounts to the dash and will display all the engine information. (Mini Datalogger) I would like the same thing on my OBD1 LT1. Is there such a thing or will I have to create a system using a small PC and running the output for the screen to a mini monitor on the dash on my Corvette? I really like this idea so I can always monitor the engine parameters. I have an Actron code scanner and it does live data but it's not mount friendly and it's cord is not long enough. (Plus it's bright orange) Anyone seen such a thing for an LT1?
Old 03-14-2012, 05:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

What year is your engine?

If you just want real-time engine parameters, then it sounds like you want a "Scanmaster LT1." However, it's only good for 1994-1995 OBD1 vehicles -- it won't work on 1993 LT1s at all, and won't display DTCs on 1996-1997 OBD2 vehicles, as far as I remember. Run a google search to see what all it does, or feel free to shoot me a PM if you have questions.

As a warning, you cannot use both it and a PC connected to the car at the same time. I used a momentary push-button switch to change between it and the ALDL/DLC port under the dash. However, I don't think the new units require you to hardwire it like mine did.

Otherwise, I don't know what options you have aside from software like Datamaster/Freescan. Depends on why and what you're wanting to datalog.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Launching!

I have decided that considering I have a lot of space behind the "bread box" delete on my 84 Corvette I am going to take out the switch panel located next to the information center and install a small monitor/ screen and install a MINI ITX PC behind the dash. I will program it or design it so I can turn it on when I want or have it turn on when the car starts. I want a screen where I can watch datalogging software running and be able to have the main screen be the C4 Corvette emblem. (Kind of like the newer car's GPS/Nav systems)
Old 03-14-2012, 10:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ultragauge covers engine stuff, sadly it does not cover the tranny though. I put one on my truck. For the price I was fine with it as just a code scanner.

I run an OBD1 pcm in the car so I have not tried it on an LT1 but it should be fine for anything OBD2.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Launching!

I'm looking at like $50 for a used mini PC and $50 for a screen. I saw the Scanmaster LT1 for over $200. Not worth it for what it is. It's neat but it's not worth the money they want for it I feel. I feel my idea is much much better and it's cheaper.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:16 PM
11 Second Club

I threw UltraGauge out there as just another option, mostly for other folks who don't want to bother with the mini PC thing.

They are only $60-70 and theoretically work on anything OBD2.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anything out there for OBD1 '93'????
Old 03-15-2012, 09:09 PM
Launching!

i love my " scanmaster" but i have a 94...idk what year u got but if it workls with your year i would say get it..lol
Old 03-15-2012, 11:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 94maro
i love my " scanmaster" but i have a 94...idk what year u got but if it workls with your year i would say get it..lol
I was looking at scanmaster after it was mentioned and for how cheap it looks I would rather do my own system. It's such a boring display, I'm not trying to be offensive to anyone but that's my personal opinion. It does what it's designed to do and not a thing more. I don't really like the red led looking display. It looks very dated to me. I guess if you have limited space it's perfect. I just want a little more than being able to see only 1 or 2 engine parameters at a time. I don't want to have to toggle between information either.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I threw UltraGauge out there as just another option, mostly for other folks who don't want to bother with the mini PC thing.

They are only $60-70 and theoretically work on anything OBD2.
What all does that thing do? Does it read the knock sensor? Timing?
Old 03-16-2012, 06:16 AM
11 Second Club

You would need to look it up on their site to see what it does for each vehicle.
In my 05 Sierra 1500 I think it has like 48 things it will display, not that all of those are things you care about.

One thing that I suppose could be interesting would be you can set "alarms" for different values. Wonder if this could be used as an EWP early warning.
Gives instant and average MPG.
Can set oil change mileage alarms.
Displays like half a dozen parameters at a time.

When I bought it tranny temp was something I was really hoping for and was disappointed when it can't show tranny info but for $70 I have an OBD2 scanner and can keep a real time eye on things in the truck. I could swap it to the wife's car if I needed to scan/troubleshoot that.
I will admit I was a little disappointed with it at first but I think that was because I have been using Datamaster on the car for close to a decade, but what that is capable of is way it is unrealistic to expect a tiny realtime thing to do the same.

Quick Reply: Dash mounted Datalogger