LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

383 fordge stoker kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 383 fordge stoker kit

im looking for good places to shop for my 383 fordge stroker lt1 build. it gonna be a few years project, money isnt really much issue ill get parts over the time anyway. so off we go with answers and questions

oh on side question should i get ford rearend with this build?
Old 03-14-2012, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rear depends on what trans and what you are doing with the car. It used to be that the 12 bolt was way cheaper and if you were an auto you could get away with it at the track no problem. Now the 12 bolt is almost the same price as a 9inch so it's at the point of why not right? lol
Are you building the bottom end of the engine or do you have someone in mind to do that?
Old 03-14-2012, 07:40 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by DeafCamaro
im looking for good places to shop for my 383 fordge stroker lt1 build. it gonna be a few years project, money isnt really much issue ill get parts over the time anyway. so off we go with answers and questions

oh on side question should i get ford rearend with this build?
Do yourself a huge favor- Instead of buying parts here and there over time and then dumping them off on a machine shop, save the money and THEN go to the machine shop of your choice, tell them what you want to do and then have them build with parts they are accustomed to using. Where do you live? If you are on the eastern seaboard I have an excellent shop in mind that I can PM you info. They've been building on LTx/LSx platforms for well over 10 years now.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:19 PM

i live in nebraska. and for bottom end is gonna be fully build. im not gonna use turbo, nos, or other powers adder just pure all motor and reason why i said ill buy parts time to time because im going to be in college in few months so its gonna be a while
Old 03-14-2012, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Ellwein engines does great work with LT1 motors.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

clayton racing engines....or piece it together...id do callies or ohio crank...compstar rods and any decent forged piston...probably diamond
Old 03-14-2012, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I strongly suggest you just tinker with boltons for now. Way too many strokers have been halfassed already. Take a few years to see what really works and what really makes power THEN consider the build. Plus a car needs a LOT of work to be ready to accept a high HP engine. Suspension/exhaust/CAI/fuel system/drivetrain adds up to a lot of cash.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I strongly suggest you just tinker with boltons for now. Way too many strokers have been halfassed already. Take a few years to see what really works and what really makes power THEN consider the build. Plus a car needs a LOT of work to be ready to accept a high HP engine. Suspension/exhaust/CAI/fuel system/drivetrain adds up to a lot of cash.
actually camaro is already have alot of suspension work done and i know fuel system will need to be changed later on since right now its at 337 rwhp and 350 rwtq. im sure ill have to do modifacation on transmission since it still stock. i try get my full list of what it has been done. i have bare block setting in garage right now since there no point to pull one out that is good running condiction. if my 383 blows up i can put original moddified one back in
Old 03-14-2012, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by 69gto96z
Ellwein engines does great work with LT1 motors.
know any good locals near big spring, tx cuz thats where im going for college in fall so that way there more options since you live in texas. i thought it worth to try and ask
Old 03-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Deafcamaro I live in Midland, TX (about 30 minutes from Howard College). There are a couple of good machine shops here to take your build to. Meachum Engine services did my first 383 build about 4yrs ago and still ran strong when I pulled it to build this one. I am currently building a 383 now your more than welcome to come take a look when you get down.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:46 PM

that nice to know since im planning on going back to visit but will be flying to midland instead of sa, texas
Old 03-14-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DeafCamaro
know any good locals near big spring, tx cuz thats where im going for college in fall so that way there more options since you live in texas. i thought it worth to try and ask
Negative. Calvert in Denton is supposed to be really good. I used them for a stock rebuild I did for a buddy and they did alright. I told them not to polish the crank, and they did it anyway and charged me for it. I got it home, and one of the journals was scratched. I ended up having to polish the crank myself, and got a much better finish on it.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:02 PM

thanks for info, and bump looking for more good place to order parts
Old 03-20-2012, 09:40 PM

anyone else have more recemendation?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some guys run Eagle, some have horror stories. I prefer Callies, there also have been stories about Callies though too.

3.75" forged crank. 6" forged rods. Pistons depending on compression ratio you are shooting for. A 30 over (4.030) bore will get you to a stout a 383.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:33 PM

im looking for more of reliable parts that dont have alot of bad history like broken pistons, rods or anything weak while under load or what ever. even though im not gonna race the car but might take it to track some time. so the power parts not always what im looking for so im kinda in middle. i dont like have it broken like dsm lol even though i never owned one XD
Old 03-21-2012, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You cant control manufacturing and all of the horror story's come from **** poor manufacturing or improper machine and build. It's luck of the draw. You could buy A crank, set of rods and pistons that have never had a failure and get a bad set or part. Look at Nascar. Even the biggest teams get bad parts. Find a good quality engine builder who knows LT1's and is familiar with what parts work and what ones have more problems then others. Let him do his job to try and make sure you get the best possible bottom end for your build. Even GM crate engines brake those parts under normal use. Nothing you can do about chance.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:28 AM

verry true i didnt even thought of that part o.O

Quick Reply: 383 fordge stoker kit