LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

93 lt1 electrical problems.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 lt1 electrical problems.....

I have a 93 lt1 trans am and the guages surge erratically (rpm) when i hit the throttle, and the horn relay goes nuts! I removed the horn relay but still have issues. 3 or 4 of the fusible link wires burnt out a while ago and gave me the same problem but i fixed the wires and now I have this problem again.

any clues or diagrams that could help me figure this one out would be great.

Thanks, Dave
Old 03-16-2012, 07:38 AM
Launching!

Need a little more info. What was the original cause of the burnt fusible links? Are you talking about the fusible links in the engine compartment next to the battery? Does the car have headers, possibly burnt harness that runs down between the passenger side header and frame rail?

The erratic RPMs sound like a bad ground. Check the three small ground wires that come off of the engine harness (two light brown and one black) that connect at the front of the motor near the coil.

Here's a link to shbox website where you'll find plenty of schematics, most are not specifically for 93 but 90% will be correct for your car. http://shbox.com/1/schematics_wiring.html
Old 03-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by garage_queen
Need a little more info. What was the original cause of the burnt fusible links? Are you talking about the fusible links in the engine compartment next to the battery? Does the car have headers, possibly burnt harness that runs down between the passenger side header and frame rail?

The erratic RPMs sound like a bad ground. Check the three small ground wires that come off of the engine harness (two light brown and one black) that connect at the front of the motor near the coil.

Here's a link to shbox website where you'll find plenty of schematics, most are not specifically for 93 but 90% will be correct for your car. http://shbox.com/1/schematics_wiring.html
thanks for the reply! the original cause of the burnt fusible link wiring was never found just replaced. and yes im talking about the red little box that connects to the battery. the car has an underhood turbo that made lots of heat, I suspected that maybe a wire might have melted but when I had the motor out I inspected all the wiring and then wraped it in cool tape. maybe I missed something. it all worked fine for a few days then the problem came back.

I looked at shbox's web pages and I have schematics out of a haynes repair manual but it just doesnt add up for me. like I dont know where to start looking again.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Look for wire that might be melted together, I would start by the turbo and go from there.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:14 PM
Teching In

alright well Im going to go through the whole harness then and get back to you guys.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like fused wires, but have u checked volatge at alt? Over Amp cause this kind of prob?
Old 03-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Teching In

found the problem and fixed it last night. I traced it all the way to a lose connection under the driver side dash. thanks guys!

Quick Reply: 93 lt1 electrical problems.....