LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What kind of exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What kind of exhaust?

I recently bought a 1994 Camaro Z28 and the car came with shitty BBK shorty headers and Flowmaster exhaust. I personally am not the biggest fan of the exhaust and the fact that it leaks on one side gives me a pretty good excuse to replace so I figured I would ask for some opinions for the best exhaust for the money. Theres also a shop that does custom exhaust work for around 500 dollars and from what I heard there stuff is pretty decent. Any input would be great!
Old 03-21-2012, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

As far as power goes a good flowing magnaflow catback and longtube headers are perfect for a mild car. There is also the GMMG catback that everyone seems to love. They all have different sounds but are always going to have a raspy sound somewhere in the rpm range. Most of my y pipe cars was around 2500 rpms.

I went a different route a couple of weeks ago and built some true duals with an xpipe and full size magnaflow mufflers. It was hard work and I did manage to lose a little ground clearance at the rear of the car but I gained some where the old y pipe hung down. It has such a nicer sound than any catback Ive ever heard. Ive heard people say it sounds "tighter" and "smoother" than it did before.

On the headers a lot of people like Pacesetters and Hookers. Ive ran pacesetters and had some issues installing them (hit steering shaft, collectors pointed upwards) but they were fine after that. Now I have Ebay stainless headers but they seem to have disappeared off ebay.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was actually looking into some prices on x-pipe today. I want my car to sound different than most LT1 cars but that is probably hard to achieve considering the engine was first made in 92.

I will probably end up replacing my exhaust before my headers because theres nothing wrong with the headers aside from the fact that they're shorties. The thing I hate about the Flowmaster is that its way to raspy for me even at high RPM and theres a lot of crackle when decelerating.

Any input on Kooks exhaust?
Old 03-21-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stevesfbody
I was actually looking into some prices on x-pipe today. I want my car to sound different than most LT1 cars but that is probably hard to achieve considering the engine was first made in 92.

I will probably end up replacing my exhaust before my headers because theres nothing wrong with the headers aside from the fact that they're shorties. The thing I hate about the Flowmaster is that its way to raspy for me even at high RPM and theres a lot of crackle when decelerating.

The kooks is a quality system but its expensive. You could probably get one built cheaper IF you can find a shop to do it or if you are creative. I hated my flowmaster to. It droned worse than my magnaflows do dumped under the car.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesfbody

a better merge in the y pipe would fix the rasp
Old 03-21-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Worst comes to worst I'll probably have a shop build one for me. It's all custom from the headers down so it should be a big upgrade from what I have now. But at the end of the day these flowmasters need to go
Old 03-21-2012, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
It leaks out from around the y-pipe so should some welds fix the raspyness? At least for the time being right?
Old 03-21-2012, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
You can get rid of the machine gun rasp but it still wont sound as clean as duals imo. Just like X vs H vs no crossover. They all sound different its just whatever an individual likes. I prefer an X.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well when I round up some more cash I'll give the shop a call and explore my options.

Appreciate the input guys

Quick Reply: What kind of exhaust?