LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Newb trying to decide which heads to use

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 08:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb trying to decide which heads to use

Ok heres the situation iv got, i have a 95 camaro with the lt1 6speed..it started knocking a month after getting it so i took the car to have it rebuild by a local shop(also family friend)hes estimating it costing me between $3000 to $4000. That is with a complete stock rebuild too.This mechanic is telling me that id be better off putting the cast iron heads on my car rather the aluminum. Thing im wanting to know is there a big difference in the heads?
the cast iron head iv had redone all new valves and stuff and the aluminum are completly stock with about 126k miles on them which would i better off using?
Reason i dont trust what the guy says is hes trying to tell me u cant port the aluminum head which i know is complete bs..from what iv read their the easier heads to port.
Any help or input would help thanks.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats a first, so much for family friend..ha. Pulling the aluminum heads to put iron heads on the motor...thats interesting. What castings are these iron heads? What you should do is go pick up those aluminum heads, send them off yourself to get ported. Unless he's putting some aftermarket cast iron head on the motor, dont leave those aluminum heads behind. Plus these LT1 are reversed cooled, requires an LT1 specific head..hoping the iron head is at least an LT1 casting...

Im willing to bet probably half that cost is labor...save yourself boo-koo bucks doing the labor yourself.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate95LT1
Ok heres the situation iv got, i have a 95 camaro with the lt1 6speed..it started knocking a month after getting it so i took the car to have it rebuild by a local shop(also family friend)hes estimating it costing me between $3000 to $4000. That is with a complete stock rebuild too.This mechanic is telling me that id be better off putting the cast iron heads on my car rather the aluminum. Thing im wanting to know is there a big difference in the heads?
the cast iron head iv had redone all new valves and stuff and the aluminum are completly stock with about 126k miles on them which would i better off using?
Reason i dont trust what the guy says is hes trying to tell me u cant port the aluminum head which i know is complete bs..from what iv read their the easier heads to port.
Any help or input would help thanks.
Um yeah this guy is an idiot....

I've heard the debate of Aluminum LT1 heads vs. Cast Iron LT1 heads and the clear winner is always gonna be aluminum not really because of flow but because of weight.

And yes you can port the aluminum heads, what kind of engine builder thinks otherwise?? At least 25% or more of the LT1's on this site have ported stock heads...
Old 03-23-2012, 08:47 AM
Teching In

the cast iron heads are off a lt1. the engine he is actually rebuild is not my original motor, its one out of a b-body, my engine turned out to be toast. For me doing it myself i would have if i had know he would have kept it this long...orig. he said 3 weeks top now its going on 3 months...me personally i think hes jus trying to ****** him a set of free aluminum heads.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

me personally i think hes jus trying to ****** him a set of free aluminum heads.
He is.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the cast iron heads are off a lt1. the engine he is actually rebuild is not my original motor, its one out of a b-body, my engine turned out to be toast. For me doing it myself i would have if i had know he would have kept it this long...orig. he said 3 weeks top now its going on 3 months...me personally i think hes jus trying to ****** him a set of free aluminum heads.
Nice "family friend" you got there
Old 03-23-2012, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd stay away from this guy because he obviously has no idea what he's talking about. Read up on rebuilds and do it yourself rather than overpaying some hack.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Teching In

i can rebuild the engine myself no prob. i only let him do it because im working 70 to 80 hours a week and never have time to mess with it and its my dd so when he said 3 weeks sounded pretty good to me..but if he dosnt agree to put the aluminum heads on ima go get the car and do it myself.

Quick Reply: Newb trying to decide which heads to use