LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Doing a head Gasket job on a 95 camaro z28 LT1!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There actually was not as much sludge as we thought there was going to be. Most of it was just on the tray that sits under the intake manifold. we cleaned it all out. Im also running full syn oil and will change it after 2k miles. But yeah it looked worse then it was.

Oil pan should be clean considering when i drained the oil about 7 qts of oil/coolant came out. Its not something were concerned about.

As for the head bolts, we did in fact reuse them. They were put back in in their original spots per request by the Hanes manual. I would sugest new to anyone doing this job just because it would keep you from having to keep the bolts organized as we did. As for them failing later.... not gona happen. =)

hmm.. Question. lol

So my fans are hesitant to come on. we checked the relays and they are checking out just fine. We think it may be a PCM problem. What were going to do is wire the fans so that as long as the engine is running, the fans will run at their low setting. He wants to do the same to his mustang as well.

The alternative to this would be a fan switch. are any of you guys familiar with switches?
Old 04-18-2012, 10:06 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
pressure test them and if your smart replace the valve seals.
This is the bare minimum that you should do.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cec326
There actually was not as much sludge as we thought there was going to be. Most of it was just on the tray that sits under the intake manifold. we cleaned it all out. Im also running full syn oil and will change it after 2k miles. But yeah it looked worse then it was.

Oil pan should be clean considering when i drained the oil about 7 qts of oil/coolant came out. Its not something were concerned about.

As for the head bolts, we did in fact reuse them. They were put back in in their original spots per request by the Hanes manual. I would sugest new to anyone doing this job just because it would keep you from having to keep the bolts organized as we did. As for them failing later.... not gona happen. =)

hmm.. Question. lol

So my fans are hesitant to come on. we checked the relays and they are checking out just fine. We think it may be a PCM problem. What were going to do is wire the fans so that as long as the engine is running, the fans will run at their low setting. He wants to do the same to his mustang as well.

The alternative to this would be a fan switch. are any of you guys familiar with switches?
I've always heard the stock bolts were TTY (torque to yield) bolts and to NOT reuse. However, I have no experience with this as i've always replaced with ARP head bolts. Just seems like cheap insurance IMO.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:24 AM
Teching In

These were not TTY bolts. Just your standard head bolts. They will be fine.

So something funny happened last night. We were trying to find out why the fans were not turning on. the engine would go up to the halfway mark on the temp gauge then drop to the 1/4 mark without us ever hearing the fans turn on. So he was messing with something near the fans and all of the sudden I hear this grinding sound and his hand comes flying out from under the hood. He then says " Fans work!" lol. Turns out the fans are crazy silent. So we dont have a fan problem after all. Now to get it to his dealership to get the inspection done. =)
Old 04-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Teching In

Hey does anyone know why my belt tries to slip off of my idler pulley? It doesnt actually come off but it comes off enough to that outter rib on the belt is not touching anything. we have checked everything and even replaced the idler pulley and belt.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Doing a head Gasket job on a 95 camaro z28 LT1!