LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Low idle issue when coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Low idle issue when coming to a stop

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this or know what the cause might be...

Ever since I got the car out of storage last month, it will not idle when coming to a stop. Once I push the clutch in, it will drop down to around 5-600 rpm and never stall, but once i stop, it will climb back up to 1k.
If i start the car when it is hot, it will idle fine. It has always had a little bit of trouble idling when cold, but only for a few seconds and always felt it was normal.
Could the IAC being going bad? I do not have any SES Lights at this time and I have yet to hook up the laptop to it to check IAC counts or anything like that. I did do a quick check for vacuum leaks, but could not find any.

Thanks for the help,
Josh
Old 03-27-2012, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has it done it since heads / cam? If so your tuner needs to work on throttle follower IAC offset. What are IAC counts at idle, and when this happens.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gregrob
Has it done it since heads / cam? If so your tuner needs to work on throttle follower IAC offset. What are IAC counts at idle, and when this happens.
No. It has been on the same combination for about 5 years and it didn't start doing it until I pulled the car out of storage just a few weeks ago. When I get a chance, I will get the IAC counts at idle and while its happening.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:38 PM
Teching In

I finally had a chance to hook the laptop up to the car and record some data with DataMaster. The IAC counts at idle vary from around 80-85 when warmed up. The MAP is usually around 66 and the TPS volts appear to be on the high side at .94, but it does have a decent size cam.
The other day, the SES light started appearing on full throttle runs and so I hooked the laptop up to the car. I had 2 stored codes, TPS HIGH and MAP HIGH. I have been trying to research the issue more, but just not sure what might be causing the issue.

FYI: Car does have a new TPS sensor, but it did not help.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Teching In

In case anyone is wondering, I figured out the issue.
First, my vacuum cap that I put on the intake vacuum port underneath the throttle body was leaking and so I replaced it. Then, I took off the throttle body, cleaned out all of the black build up that was on the IAC, around the butterflies, and just about everywhere else. Once I put it back together and drove it, it idled great. I cannot believe the amount of build up throughout the throttle body though, as the motor only has about 6k on it since I last tore it down.

Quick Reply: Low idle issue when coming to a stop