LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1.7 RR's On Stock LT1 Cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1.7 RR's On Stock LT1 Cam

I have searched the subject and read a lot of threads on this and other sites. Seems like people have conflicting ideas regarding pushrod angle/length, studs, etc. I was thinking of replacing my factory rockers with 1.7's. I'm not planning on a cam swap in the near future, so I thought this might be a fairly easy way to pick up a few more hp and remain in the "bolt-on" stage. I've already got a set of 918 beehives with locks and retainers that I picked up in the classifieds a while back. Can I install a set of 1.7's with the 918 springs and not worry about changing pushrods and studs? I would like to hear from those who have actually done it.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dubga
I have searched the subject and read a lot of threads on this and other sites. Seems like people have conflicting ideas regarding pushrod angle/length, studs, etc. I was thinking of replacing my factory rockers with 1.7's. I'm not planning on a cam swap in the near future, so I thought this might be a fairly easy way to pick up a few more hp and remain in the "bolt-on" stage. I've already got a set of 918 beehives with locks and retainers that I picked up in the classifieds a while back. Can I install a set of 1.7's with the 918 springs and not worry about changing pushrods and studs? I would like to hear from those who have actually done it.
The HP gains from roller rockers are mainly due to reduced friction...not more lift. I doubt there would be more than a 5hp difference than 1.6 ratio roller rockers with a stock cam. Is it possible yea, worthwhile, not really.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, the 1.7's would get you some more power. But......good luck finding them in a SA style. You can get non-SA 1.7's but that doesn't sound like the easy "bolt-on" you're looking for .......clearancing pushrod holes in the heads, guideplates.
The closest I found when I was trying to wring out everything I could in the "bolt-on" stage was 1.65 CAT SA rockers. They turned out to be exactly the same dimensions/ratio as my 1.6 Crane Gold SA's, even though they were stamped "1.65" - so beware of those!
So, unless something's changed since I looked 3 yrs ago, pushrod length is a moot point. If you go non-SA's, you'll need hardened pushrods to work with the guideplates.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been running 1.7's for about 4 years. The swap from 1.6's to 1.7's was worth 10 rwhp/ 6 tq across the board on the dyno for me. I did swap from the 1.6 sa Promag to a nsa Scorpion. I run the 26918 spring with the stock seat and stock lock. I up graded to the 7/16 134-7103 ARP stud for stability. The Scorpion race series 1026 was my rocker choice along with Trickflow TFS-30400623-8 guideplates. Even though my pushrods were hardened I still replaced them with 7.2 chromoly ones from Trickflow. The only issue was the pushrod was very close to touching at the bottom of the guideplate. I just ground the bottom of the U a little deeper being careful not to touch the sides. The swap raised the power band quite a bit, still making power at 6100 rpm. Worth it, it's 10 rwhp more than I had.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious how this turned out?

Quick Reply: 1.7 RR's On Stock LT1 Cam