LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

383 Stroker Build Thread! NEW STARTUP AND IDLE VIDEOS!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 11:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am somewhere in the range of 4-5K invested, not counting rear end, suspension or the minor visiual mods I am doing like powdercoating and polishing. Another update. Cam is spec'd out and will be ordered tomorrow morning! heads are on the motor and things are slowly starting to come together!
Attached Thumbnails 383 Stroker Build Thread!  NEW STARTUP AND IDLE VIDEOS!-imag0514.jpg   383 Stroker Build Thread!  NEW STARTUP AND IDLE VIDEOS!-imag0515.jpg   383 Stroker Build Thread!  NEW STARTUP AND IDLE VIDEOS!-imag0516.jpg   383 Stroker Build Thread!  NEW STARTUP AND IDLE VIDEOS!-imag0517.jpg   383 Stroker Build Thread!  NEW STARTUP AND IDLE VIDEOS!-imag0518.jpg  

Old 06-01-2012, 12:09 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I rebuilt my stock LT1 to a 383 that was so much fun. I blueprinted mine. Got out the mics and bore gauges, first time I did that to a motor. But glad I did it. Everything down on paper for what the tolerences are to the ten ten thousand. It took alot of time but it was fun.

Looks like you got a really good setup there. One thing I kind of wish I had did was bigger heads, but I am boosted. So done know if that really matters. I might start a thread sometime on it.....dont wanna boost your tread. Have fun bro.......
Old 06-20-2012, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

UPDATE:

Pictures of the freshly painted engine bay, and the first half of the wiring harness refresh. I think it is coming out VERY nice! Cam will be here Thursday or Friday and then the engine will be fully assembled! I hope to crank her over for the first time next week.
Attached Thumbnails 383 Stroker Build Thread!  NEW STARTUP AND IDLE VIDEOS!-imag0534.jpg   383 Stroker Build Thread!  NEW STARTUP AND IDLE VIDEOS!-imag0535.jpg   383 Stroker Build Thread!  NEW STARTUP AND IDLE VIDEOS!-imag0536.jpg   383 Stroker Build Thread!  NEW STARTUP AND IDLE VIDEOS!-imag0537.jpg   383 Stroker Build Thread!  NEW STARTUP AND IDLE VIDEOS!-imag0538.jpg  

Old 06-21-2012, 11:49 PM
12 Second Club

More progress!

The cam came in today finally! I got the motor together as far as I could without any pushrods and they will get here Monday! Once they get here, the motor gets finished up and installed in the car!
Attached Thumbnails 383 Stroker Build Thread!  NEW STARTUP AND IDLE VIDEOS!-imag0542.jpg   383 Stroker Build Thread!  NEW STARTUP AND IDLE VIDEOS!-imag0543.jpg   383 Stroker Build Thread!  NEW STARTUP AND IDLE VIDEOS!-imag0545.jpg   383 Stroker Build Thread!  NEW STARTUP AND IDLE VIDEOS!-imag0546.jpg   383 Stroker Build Thread!  NEW STARTUP AND IDLE VIDEOS!-imag0547.jpg  

Old 06-28-2012, 02:11 AM
12 Second Club

UPDATE:

The motor is fully assembled! All I am waiting for now is a slight tough up on my engine bay paint, and then I can set up the brake lines for my Line Lock/ABS Delete kit, run my new fuel lines and install the motor in the car! Here are some new pics of the completed motor with my.....alterations
Attached Thumbnails 383 Stroker Build Thread!  NEW STARTUP AND IDLE VIDEOS!-imag0553.jpg   383 Stroker Build Thread!  NEW STARTUP AND IDLE VIDEOS!-imag0554.jpg   383 Stroker Build Thread!  NEW STARTUP AND IDLE VIDEOS!-imag0555.jpg   383 Stroker Build Thread!  NEW STARTUP AND IDLE VIDEOS!-imag0556.jpg   383 Stroker Build Thread!  NEW STARTUP AND IDLE VIDEOS!-imag0557.jpg  

383 Stroker Build Thread!  NEW STARTUP AND IDLE VIDEOS!-imag0558.jpg  
Old 06-28-2012, 03:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Where did you get the top cover (on the intake)?
Old 06-28-2012, 03:35 AM
12 Second Club

I custom made it. It is a piece of 1/8" thick aluminum that I had waterjetted to fit, then powdercoated. I LOVE the way it looks! ESPECIALLY with the shaved Throttle Body Plate.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:47 PM
12 Second Club

More progress:

I was supposed to be at a car show and a cruise today with some friends but the weather didn't cooperate and we got rained out...SO, I decided to work on the SS a little more...here is how that went:

Got the SJM Line Lock/ABS Delete kit set up and mocked up. I was working on flaring the lines but the old lines were just slipping in the flare tool and I need to replace them...considering Steel Braided lines.

I installed the new Speed Inc fuel line relocation kit, and had the hole where the lines USED to be sealed up and filled in, then had this portion of the engine bay repainted.....what do you think??? I love it!

I also started pinning up the wiring harness and installed the clutch mater cylinder, brake booster/master cylinder PCM and a few other items. As soon as my brakes get buttoned up, the motor goes in!

Here are some pictures!
Attached Thumbnails 383 Stroker Build Thread!  NEW STARTUP AND IDLE VIDEOS!-imag0566.jpg   383 Stroker Build Thread!  NEW STARTUP AND IDLE VIDEOS!-imag0569.jpg   383 Stroker Build Thread!  NEW STARTUP AND IDLE VIDEOS!-imag0570.jpg   383 Stroker Build Thread!  NEW STARTUP AND IDLE VIDEOS!-imag0567.jpg   383 Stroker Build Thread!  NEW STARTUP AND IDLE VIDEOS!-imag0568.jpg  

Old 07-08-2012, 12:03 AM
12 Second Club

Very nice looking build!!

Quick question, where did you get the tensioner/idler pulley?
Old 07-08-2012, 12:04 AM
12 Second Club

AutoZone...they sell it with a lifetime warranty lol.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:50 PM
12 Second Club

She started! She has no tune and it is running SUPER rich at idle. Lots of fuel with no air. The tune SHOULD fix that, but if not we will be drilling small holes in the throttle body blades...These were taken inside our garage and she had open headers, so I apologize for the sound problems...camera phone. I will be getting new video once the new oil pan is installed!

Sorry the first one is so short...got a text mid video lol. She fired right up, then died when I tried to let it idle.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats on a well thought out build! Is the Hp/TQ numbers from the current build?
Old 07-15-2012, 11:30 PM
12 Second Club

They are from the old 357 LE2 build. This wont see a dyno for a week or two at LEAST. Gotta break it in first and I wanna get a rear end under it before I do any pulls.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on getting her running! Suprised there wasnt any emotion shown after it firing up heh. I know when i first finished my build i lost my banana's in joy being my first one in and all Need a outside video from behind to get the real effect!
Old 07-16-2012, 09:04 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28Camaro30Ann
but if not we will be drilling small holes in the throttle body blades...
Don't do it. Not necessary. Your TB should have a bleed hole:
http://www.hashmarks.com/techtips/throttle_body_mod.htm
If it doesn't, drill one. A tune should fix idling issues. Right now the PCM is freaking the **** out.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:44 PM
12 Second Club

My RPM at idle was set at 750 in my tune...we adjusted it to 850 and this is the result.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWopc...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-11-2012, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds awesome!
Old 05-07-2014, 12:35 AM
12 Second Club

Ok, I realized I have not posted on here in a LONG time...thought I would do a quick update. A lot has happened, so this will be a long post...sorry in advance haha! I know half of you could care less about my life story, but oh well lol.

So shortly after getting it running, we got the break in miles done and I started doing some dyno/street tuning. I got it onto the Dyno and managed to bust out 442 RWHP and 406 RWTQ, but I was not done at ALL...the next pull I started getting A LOT of knock retard, fuel problems and losing power, so I stopped the dyno to try and figure out what was going on. I initially thought the problem was in the tune, so I began reversing some of the timing and AFR changes I had made to try and kill the Knock Retard. At first it was only in WOT pulls that it pulled knock. After a week of tuning adjustments, I thought I had it fixed...then out of nowhere it happened again and the idle got rough. I kept messing with the tune, still thinking it was tune related, and spent a few months on and off dicking with that. After a while, I finally gave up on the tune being the issue and began looking for mechanical problems. I pulled the valve covers and all looked good...no loose rockers, no springs messed up that I could see, and no bent pushrods. I played with a few other ideas before finally giving up and parking it for a while. Then the hard times hit.

I ended up getting screwed by the Veterans Affairs office (long story, ask and I will explain later lol)...due to that, I ended up getting kicked out of school, and kicked out of my apartment in Denver and had to move back to Cheyenne. I ran out of money and ended up at a $10/hr job barely able to pay the bills...the Camaro unfortunately became the DD, but I did not have the funds to fix it. Over time it deteriorated immensely..would barely run, barely idle, sometimes it wouldnt start, etc...I finally got a new DD after a couple of months and parked the SS. I had to take some cuts on hours at my job and ended up losing the SS to the bank...I broke the news on LTXTech, and in an AMAZING show of charity, the members of LTXTech, without my knowledge, created a donation thread for me, and over the next few days raised enough money for me to get my car back from the bank, and feed me and take care of a couple of other bills that I was behind on! I am forever in their debt! This was the first bit of good fortune!

Just before I lost the Camaro, I had begun applying for a job at the local oil refinery here in Cheyenne, not expecting to ACTUALLY get hired on. I interviewed in early March of 2013, and got hired to a job that pays between $75k and $100k a year. This happened just as I got the Camaro back from the bank, so I was able to get all of my bills current and caught up and I have not missed any since then!

Now that I was in a good job and making good money and was caught up, I decided it was time to start putting effort into fixing the Camaro. I still had not figured out what was wrong, and I was now without a shop to work in, so I threw in the towel, and towed it to my old shop in Denver, Colorado Performance Unlimited on May 19th of 2013. I told him, no matter the cost, I want it fixed...find what is wrong and let me know. I also told him, no rush...I was still getting things in my life ironed out so the Camaro needed to be fixed, but not to beat himself up with it...take his time. A few months later he did a compression check..said that 6 cylinders are pushing 150 psi....2 cylinders were only getting 15 psi. A little bit later he popped the valve covers again and tested the springs and found that I had 3 broken valve springs on those 2 cylinders. I called TEA and toold them about what heppened. They asked me a bunch of questions about my cam and build to make sure I didnt spec something wrong, but they said everything checked out and there was no reason the springs should have broken, so they sent me a brand new set of springs thinking I got a bad run. Those springs were installed, and he got the car running again...said it ran GREAT, right up until it went into closed loop mode. He found out that the Passenger Side O2 connector had melted on the header collector, and it was throwing off the PCM...so he fixed the wiring and is currently in the process of tuning the car right now!

I have also just about completed a full Ebony Interior Conversion, and I am working on a couple of other small projects with the car. She should be finished and back in my hands this week. It will be the first time I have heard her run since May of last year hen I pulled her off of the trailer at the shop, and she was in ROUGH shape. The current plan is to get her going good, and then I will be doing a full dyno tune on E85. She will use 91 Octane on the street and day to day, but whenever I race, she will get E85, and I will flash in the E85 tune from my laptop.

So, I included my last Dyno Sheet before the first spring broke, and then I put a few video links below...enjoy!

First time Idling on its own...The knocking you hear is the crank hitting the oil pan. As soon as I heard it I shut it down, pulled the pan and installed a Moroso pan. Sounds great now!

The only dyno pull I had recorded...this was the first pull I made with the car, right before we started tuning. It only made 419 RWHP and 395 RWTQ. The next pull was in the 420's. I had to leave the dyno after that, but came back a few days later to finish the tune...that was when I got my third pull in and hit the 442. Still had more to go though...

This video is a run in Mexico against an 08 Evo with just under 500 WHP. This was done just after the first set of dyno tuning I did. After I finished my second pull I made some tuning adjustments, then datalogged a few WOT pulls on the street and saw no knock and AFRs looked OK, so I left it...This was the same tune that hit the 442 RWHP a few days later...

Here is the last time the car went WOT before I went back to the dyno...also done in Mexico. I was roll racing because it still doesn't have a rear end in it. This was against a Cobalt SS/TC running E85, bolt-ons and a fuckton of boost lol. I won't lie, he surprised the **** out of me, but that car is quick! This would also be on the same tune as the 442 RWHP.

So yeah, thanks for keeping up with this, and I will keep y'all posted on the new tuning and E85 when I get it in there haha!
Attached Thumbnails 383 Stroker Build Thread!  NEW STARTUP AND IDLE VIDEOS!-imag0812.jpg  
Old 05-07-2014, 03:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Where do you find these really fast 4 bangers? LOL.

Sucks what you went through, looks like it's all gonna work out for ya though. Cool of those guys at LTxTech to help you out.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:48 AM
12 Second Club

Haha, the problem in Colorado and Wyoming is that I am Naturally Aspirated, and all of these fast 4-bangers are Turbo'd...so I am pushing ~440 RWHP, but at 5500+ft altitude and god knows what DA...so I am at a disadvantage in a way. Bring both of these cars with me down to sea level, where I gain almost a full second ET, and they barely gain anything, and you are looking at completely different races haha. Cheyenne is around 6,129ft above sea level.

Last edited by Z28Camaro30Ann; 05-07-2014 at 05:56 AM.

Quick Reply: 383 Stroker Build Thread! NEW STARTUP AND IDLE VIDEOS!