LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Long tube header dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just going to suggest the obvious, make sure you have good plugs, oxygen sensors, and check your fuel pressure regulator for a fuel smell in the hose. I have an old beretta failing hcs at about 1.2, smelled fuel in my regulator hose, replaced and passed the test.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:50 PM
Launching!

Okay, my problem is i have very little knowledge as far as altering ecu tuning. I know from reading that I can buy a USB to obdI cable and download a program designed for tuning.. Does anyone have any input as far as how to go about doing this? Maybe some small tweaks to help pass?

Also, fixing that evap hose did no good, brought all of my numbers up. I'm now at
HC: 1.73 standard: .80
CO: 5.50 standard: 15.00
NOx: 2.59 standard: 2.50

And with a working egr valve, cat converters, and presumably functional evap system...
I'm running out of things to fix
Old 04-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Launching!

Thanks, my next step is to invest in some good plugs and wires to insure a complete burn, o2s are new and I'll have to take a look at the fpr. Now smelling fuel In the vacuum hose? Generally when the rubber seal in the fpr goes bad your car will run rough, correct?
Old 04-22-2012, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

It depends upon how bad it is. If it is just leaking a little vapor past the seal and not actual liquid fuel yet, it is just going to run a little rich, not enough to run bad, but enough to throw your numbers off. As far as my Beretta worked, it ran the same before and after, but I could only smell the fuel, nothing liquid actually worked through yet. Even got a mpg or two after fixing it.

What brand/kind of catalytic converters did you go with? Some of the high flow cats don't have enough surface area to support a strong chemical reaction, and I've heard tale that some of the questionable ebay brands don't burn properly either.

Last edited by Zebisko; 04-22-2012 at 10:32 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Launching!

Theyre Magnaflow cats http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/59959/10002/-1
I've done some more research and have seen the certified emissions tech.. According to him everything is in working order an fuel trim is perfect on both banks. My problem is that the cats aren't lighting off. Long tubes are evidently to cool. Now I'm thinking what I'll need to do is run the AiR injection back into the collectors and wrap the headers and cats in header wrap.. Then cross my fingers
Old 05-02-2012, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

im so happy my state does not require emissions for OBDI cars!!!
Old 05-02-2012, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Thats the biggestreason I've waited to install mine. I need the cat but can get around the EGR part. These headers don't have that option with out some fab.(no way) But would need to getit flashed so the engine light doesn't come on. Do to that is an automatic fail in Washington! Best beleive if I come across money or just after November their goin on.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KFtransam
Theyre Magnaflow cats http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/59959/10002/-1
I've done some more research and have seen the certified emissions tech.. According to him everything is in working order an fuel trim is perfect on both banks. My problem is that the cats aren't lighting off. Long tubes are evidently to cool. Now I'm thinking what I'll need to do is run the AiR injection back into the collectors and wrap the headers and cats in header wrap.. Then cross my fingers
You cant inject air to close to the O2 or you will end up with a false lean. Be careful on the location you choose
Old 05-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Ever get this figured out? What thermostat are you running? Running a hotter thermostat, especially if you are running a lower than stock temperature should help with emissions too. As for the secondary air, it only is supposed to run for the first few minutes of running, and then shut off. It's just to help with cold start, unless you wire it to always run, it won't help your reading. I think the first, best step is to wrap the headers, the cats are probably just not hot enough by the time you actually get to the test.

As for the "blind pass" method, it doesn't work that easily I'm afraid, the emissions testing happens at government run centers in Indiana.

Last edited by Zebisko; 05-13-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 07-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Launching!

Well after some time spent leaving the car in the driveway and just riding the bike to work because I basically gave up after wrapping the headers and cats up and still failing, i finnally went back to the technician to get approved for my 6th test and from what he is now telling me I evidently needed new cats "magnaflow is garbage" were his exact words. He recommended a few brands and I went with walker ultra, just installed them last night,, now my next issue is that I'm smelling fuel vapor from the rear drivers side wheel well near the evap can.. Could this be a partial culprit for my high hc's... What should I look for here?
Old 07-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Can you spend up to a certain amount $ on parts and get a waiver?
Old 07-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Fly on the wall
Can you spend up to a certain amount $ on parts and get a waiver?
Only if your having the work done at an " Indiana clean air check certified repair shop"
And I'm not the guy to take my car to any shop..
Old 07-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Good news fellas!

After installing walker catalysts and repairing a minor vacuum leak on the elbo of the fpr and the evap solenoid..

Emissions check #8: PASS

So, in conclusion..
If everything is in working order and you have decent catalytic converters, it is possible to clear emissions standards with long tube headers
Old 07-11-2012, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Would it help to restrict the intake? Less air to the MAF, less fuel.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Launching!

I'm not exactly sure, but I would think choking would cause added stress under load conditions and ultimately have an adverse effect

But I'm not possitive

Quick Reply: Long tube header dilemma