LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Dyno Tuning in or near Wisconsin??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 04:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Dyno Tuning in or near Wisconsin??

I have a question. I live near Madison WI, and soon I'll be needing my 383 Tuned. It HAD a PCMforless tune, but Im not confident that its correct. (the previous owner had it tuned.) At idle, the car was so rich that your eyes would water, and when you mashed the pedal, it would give a puff of black smoke (rich as hell) and even out pretty good. I'd much rather pay for a proper dyno tune, but I cant find someone that can tune an OBD1 LT1. Speed Inc. is out of the question, since Larry is no longer there (and ive got some stories about them...) So what are my other options? The car will be drivable, but Im not taking it to the track or romping on it until I KNOW my tune is as spot on as it can be.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-07-2012, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could try AMS in West Chicago,IL. They do LT1's, or FLP in Naperville,IL.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Might want to check out Midwest Hybrid in Madison?

http://www.midwesthybrid.com/index.html
Old 04-07-2012, 09:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nothing concrete but I thought there was a shop in Westbend that had a guy who could do it.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:45 AM
On The Tree

I've heard good things about Late Model Throttle in Waukesha!!
Old 04-09-2012, 07:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speedinc doesnt do OBD1 anyways unless Ion comes in to do it. Jim tunes all their cars not Larry. Also what have you heard bad about them? Thousands of happy people use them.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know a guy who works with Ion out in sugar grove IL....has a dyno jet
Old 04-10-2012, 02:47 AM
12 Second Club

Well, Ive heard some stories about their Dyno tuning.... mostly the whole "you need plug wires" thing, when the original set (meaning just put on the day prior) was perfect. Two people I know got new wires on their recommendation, and kept the old ones just to test them later and find out they were just fine. Also, Ive heard from a LOT of people that if you don't have an aluminum Driveshaft, they won't dyno your car. Another few stories involve some bad attitudes about letting the owner watch the car being dyno'd in person, and the staff there not giving a rats *** about stuff that they did not put together themselves. Just enough red flags from enough people to steer clear IMHO.

Midwest Hybrid is now Capitol City Performance, I know Nate Personally, but I'm not sure he's set up to tune OBD1 GM cars. Not sure it he has the cables/software.

I think the place in West Bend is called Westbend Dyno... thats the second time Ive heard about them being able to tune an LT1.

I won't let AMS tune a weedeater. Ive seen too many cars tuned by them blow up at the track.

I'll have to look into Late Model Throttle and FLP..... those I haven't heard of.

Thanks for the suggestions! i'LL LET YOU GUYS KNOW WHO i GO WITH, AND HOW IT TURNS OUT!
Old 04-10-2012, 06:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Quazz

Midwest Hybrid is now Capitol City Performance, I know Nate Personally, but I'm not sure he's set up to tune OBD1 GM cars. Not sure it he has the cables/software.
Ahh thats right, well I have the laptop, cables and the software (TunerCat) but hes gotta tune my car to!
Old 04-10-2012, 06:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

OBD1 tuning and datalogging software is cheap and if you are going to have a modified car I would recommend owning them. Could always buy the software yourself. Someone unfamiliar with tunercat will struggle finding the tables they want a little but if they know how to tune an injected engine they will get by.

It struck me I believe there is a shop in Plover than can tune LT1s as well.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:35 AM
12 Second Club

Holy ****, in PLOVER?? Im from around that area, never knew!
Old 04-10-2012, 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quazz
Well, Ive heard some stories about their Dyno tuning.... mostly the whole "you need plug wires" thing, when the original set (meaning just put on the day prior) was perfect. Two people I know got new wires on their recommendation, and kept the old ones just to test them later and find out they were just fine. Also, Ive heard from a LOT of people that if you don't have an aluminum Driveshaft, they won't dyno your car. Another few stories involve some bad attitudes about letting the owner watch the car being dyno'd in person, and the staff there not giving a rats *** about stuff that they did not put together themselves. Just enough red flags from enough people to steer clear IMHO.

I think the place in West Bend is called Westbend Dyno... thats the second time Ive heard about them being able to tune an LT1.

I won't let AMS tune a weedeater. Ive seen too many cars tuned by them blow up at the track.

I'll have to look into Late Model Throttle and FLP..... those I haven't heard of.

Thanks for the suggestions! i'LL LET YOU GUYS KNOW WHO i GO WITH, AND HOW IT TURNS OUT!
Interesting Ive never seen or had any probs like that at Speedinc. The alum DS is complete BS and the plug wires may have been a suggestion to why someones combo was running like ****. Also funny you said AMS and Speedinc which are 2 of the biggest and fastest performance shops around Chicago with thousands of happy customers.

Quick Reply: Dyno Tuning in or near Wisconsin??