LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil Breakdown Tests

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 02:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Breakdown Tests

I have been doing some searches and all I can find are company propaganda and dump tests, but I am trying to find an unbiased oil test that compares several brands and also compares some oil filters. Basically, I have been TOLD that mobile is good...I have been TOLD that castrol is good...I want to see actual tests that PROVE who has the best oil and who has the best filter.

Preferrably full synthetic oil. Does anyone know of any accurate, reliable and unbiased tests like this?
Old 04-07-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a good place to start. This site has been around a long time and provides some super good info.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I am sure RamAir95TA just forgot to post this link.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
No way in hell he meant LS1tech was a good place, general automotive forums people blindly swear by brand loyalty based on marketing and decades old myths.
The link I provided actually has a section were people share Used Oil Analysis results which is exactly what you are asking for.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Depends on what your looking for and what your driving, where your driving and how long you drive. what type of engine and how that engine is set up. i have been to seminars and automotive conventions for over 20yrs and have seen many tests ect. there is no one oil for everything, but in my opinion from working on cars for the past 20yrs, Mobile 1, and Valvoline for gas engines works very well to protect, and rotella for none gas engines, atvs and small engines with differ in there own ways
Old 04-07-2012, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have never hurt a bearing with mobil 1 15/50. been 8.90's at 153
Old 04-07-2012, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I am sure RamAir95TA just forgot to post this link.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
No way in hell he meant LS1tech was a good place, general automotive forums people blindly swear by brand loyalty based on marketing and decades old myths.
The link I provided actually has a section were people share Used Oil Analysis results which is exactly what you are asking for.
Hahahah, good call Dwayne. That CTRL+V eludes me again.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Come on guys Trop Artic is the stuff that empires were made on......
Old 04-07-2012, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mobil 1 isn't very good at all. Its not even a true synthetic.

German Casterol 0-30 and Pennzoil Ultra are 2 of the best synthetics on the market right now for applications such as our cars.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Is Royal Purple any good? Or Castrol Syntec?
Old 04-07-2012, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RP is junk IMO
Old 04-08-2012, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hate to be the one to say it but... If you change your oil regularly you won't really have a problem with any decent oil brand. Conventional or synthetic.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:17 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by nitrous2fast
Hate to be the one to say it but... If you change your oil regularly you won't really have a problem with any decent oil brand. Conventional or synthetic.
I am sure this is true, but different oils have different effects on an engine. I am just trying to find out what is the best because my car is only going to get the best. I am tired of people jumping on bandwagons and nut hugging specific brands. I want the facts. What oils perform well, what oils do not, what oild breakdown too soon, what oils do what they are supposed to without foaming or whatever. I want the real scoop instead of a guy who has used Castrol all his life trying to sell why Castrol is the best. I want the real facts so I can decide for myself what I want to use.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:47 AM
11 Second Club

It is true that with regular changes pretty much anything will do the trick BUT it is still good to see measured results because guys absolutely do pay $9 a quart for stuff that does not work as well as something that is $5 a quart.

Often "breakdown" is not so much the issue as is just the specific makeup of the oil, does it fall towards the thin or thick end of it's range vs. what does the engine design prefer along with what is the specific additive package.
After that an oil might be great for a weekend of racing but 4 months of driving will completely wear it out.
Also it is quite possible for a good oil to not work well in a particular engine family.
If someone wants to spend the money on an expensive synthetic it is good to see that person ask for measured results rather than the blind marketing loyalty usually expressed, just make sure you look at results for the same engine family. Also formulas change over the years so what was mediocre or great a couple years back might be great or mediocre now.

I used to spend a lot of time on the bobistheoilguy forum, back when I did M1 5w-30 always resulted in high iron content despite it's cult following in the LT1 community, same oil in a VW 1.8T at 15K miles looked awesome, quality product, just not as great for the LT1 as people assumed.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Z28Camaro30Ann
I have been doing some searches and all I can find are company propaganda and dump tests, but I am trying to find an unbiased oil test that compares several brands and also compares some oil filters. Basically, I have been TOLD that mobile is good...I have been TOLD that castrol is good...I want to see actual tests that PROVE who has the best oil and who has the best filter.

Preferrably full synthetic oil. Does anyone know of any accurate, reliable and unbiased tests like this?
A few years ago there was a guy on the forum who used to test the oil that came out of his LS1. He used to post the oil analysis online and a breakdown of what was in it. He found that German-made Castrol 0w30 oil was by far the best (it is a pure synthetic, you must read the label to ensure that it is made in Germany because some is made elsewhere).

The oil that came in second was Mobil 100% synthetic. Other oils didn't fare so well probably because even though they are advertised as synthetic, they aren't truly 100%.

There are some service stations that have the oil analysis machine. Look around and you can start performing the same tests yourself.

For the record, I don't worry about it. I have used Wal-Mart oil in my DDs for years, never failed a sniffer test, never burned oil, and only changed it every 6000miles. I use synthetic in my LS1 and LT1.

Last edited by Speedy; 04-08-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?showtopic=1304
Old 04-08-2012, 08:33 AM
11 Second Club

That link requires a user name and password to access.

I don't have the link handy but years ago someone did an LS1 test of Amsoil Vs. M1 that was pretty interesting. Again though formulas change so while it was accurate then it might not be now. Some googling should turn it up.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is another good read

www.ganoa.org/Motor_oil2.htm
Old 04-08-2012, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive always read German Castrol was the way to go but cant find it so I run regular Castrol Syntec. Ive been reading good things about Pennzoil lately and know that they make a great two cycle Marine oil that I used to run religiously.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:54 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
Ive always read German Castrol was the way to go but cant find it so I run regular Castrol Syntec. Ive been reading good things about Pennzoil lately and know that they make a great two cycle Marine oil that I used to run religiously.
Autozone carries it. It's the 0W-30 European Formula Syntec. It will say Made in Germany on the bottle. They may have recently changed the name of Castrol Syntec to something else, but it should be fairly simple to figure it out with the aid of the internet.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gregrob
Mobil 1 isn't very good at all. Its not even a true synthetic.

German Casterol 0-30 and Pennzoil Ultra are 2 of the best synthetics on the market right now for applications such as our cars.
Where do you get your info ? How is it not a true synthetic ? If it's not any good then why has GM used it as a factory fill on all Corvettes since 1993 ? Other company's use it as a factory fill also, Mercedes AMG, Porsche since 1996, The Aston Martin line, all Bentley's, the hot Nissan GT-R and even McLaren. I'm pretty sure Mercedes knows about the German Casterol. Mobil 1 must be ok.

Quick Reply: Oil Breakdown Tests