LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

355 LT1 Track Progress

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damned thing had the wheels up. It doesn't need suspension. It needs a driver.

You can swap tire sizes between nitrous and n/a to get real close on the setup, especially with a stick shift. I'd get some 26s for n/a if i was running your car.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats moving on out man! Good stuff
Old 04-09-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 05HD
Damned thing had the wheels up. It doesn't need suspension. It needs a driver.

You can swap tire sizes between nitrous and n/a to get real close on the setup, especially with a stick shift. I'd get some 26s for n/a if i was running your car.
You can't come off the clutch any slower. Its an on / off switch at the moment. Maybe I needs better slave cylinder.

You realize wheels up doesn't always equal fast correct?

It does need suspension, it is twisting hard in the rear, needs a drag bar and DA shocks at least so it can carry out that initial hit through the 60.

Its getting the cam sync issues squared away so I know that's not affecting the high RPM revs, cage, and suspension. Then reevaluate.

Oh and rim screws or bead locks, it spun the tire about 10 inches
Old 04-09-2012, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gregrob
You can't come off the clutch any slower. Its an on / off switch at the moment. Maybe I needs better slave cylinder.

You realize wheels up doesn't always equal fast correct?

It does need suspension, it is twisting hard in the rear, needs a drag bar and DA shocks at least so it can carry out that initial hit through the 60.

Its getting the cam sync issues squared away so I know that's not affecting the high RPM revs, cage, and suspension. Then reevaluate.

Oh and rim screws or bead locks, it spun the tire about 10 inches
Sure, there are gains to be made in the suspension. But, it is working pretty decent, not the first thing I would concentrate on to make gains.

What I saw was a little 355 giving it's all to get the wheels up and then falling on its face. If it keeps its head up (and the tires up), that will gain alot more than a "good" suspension.

For sure, you need to work out the cam synch issues. Make sure your cam sensor is wired with a twisted pair running far away from any ignition secondary parts. Your valvetrain should be happy to 7k and 135 traps. This will affect your n/a runs on shift extension as well.

I was surprised to see you spraying on the first time out. I'd want to take one step at a time and make it run the best on motor first before I head after the best spray numbers. I've never sorted out a combo jumping from place to place in the past. Make one change at a time and see what it does is the path to victory in my experience.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

So when are you going automagic with a break?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

I want it to go 9.90s at this altitude so that's the way the setup is going to go.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lethal bird
So when are you going automagic with a break?
Why would I do that?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why would I do that?
Full racecar mode!
Old 04-09-2012, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I want it to go 9.90s at this altitude so that's the way the setup is going to go.
If you bring the bottle, forget about the altitude, you brought your own air!
Old 04-09-2012, 11:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sure, there are gains to be made in the suspension. But, it is working pretty decent, not the first thing I would concentrate on to make gains.

What I saw was a little 355 giving it's all to get the wheels up and then falling on its face. If it keeps its head up (and the tires up), that will gain alot more than a "good" suspension.
I wouldn't say his suspension is working pretty decent at all - his car has a LOT more in it then a 1.9 60' NA, but he will need suspension tweaking to get there. Getting that down will make huge payoffs on the big end.

You need a suspension to launch properly...instead of trying to keep the wheels up, he needs to make the car move forward. Its wasting a ton of engery twisting and fighting itself. Getting the proper weight transfer, sway bars, and pinion angle will help a lot.

Still an impressive first time out, the car surely has some potential.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Looking good greg! Cant wait to see it in action!
Old 04-09-2012, 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you bring the bottle, forget about the altitude, you brought your own air!
If you think it will run the same times as sea level, on the same shot. You are very mistaken
Old 04-09-2012, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you think it will run the same times as sea level, on the same shot. You are very mistaken
I didn't say the same time but the bottle gets you alot closer than sucking the wind that is out there. All dialed in, I think it will be within a few tenths on spray, regardless of altitude. On motor, that is a different story, about a second in it there.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Puck
I wouldn't say his suspension is working pretty decent at all - his car has a LOT more in it then a 1.9 60' NA, but he will need suspension tweaking to get there. Getting that down will make huge payoffs on the big end.

You need a suspension to launch properly...instead of trying to keep the wheels up, he needs to make the car move forward. Its wasting a ton of engery twisting and fighting itself. Getting the proper weight transfer, sway bars, and pinion angle will help a lot.

Still an impressive first time out, the car surely has some potential.
Did you watch the videos? Surely you can't think the 60 foot times are all about the suspension when the car is on motor?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

I didn't say the same time but the bottle gets you alot closer than sucking the wind that is out there. All dialed in, I think it will be within a few tenths on spray, regardless of altitude. On motor, that is a different story, about a second in it there.
Hopefully we will get to test that theory.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Going to try this right now with the cam sensor
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...onversion.html
Old 04-10-2012, 02:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

I should have dyno sheets tomorrow to get a better picture of the powerband.

It should not have been hitting the rev limiter at 125-127 mph. I think this was due to some cam sync issues I was having. I rewired the sensor to the PCM tonight and the codes are not present when running, but return when I shut the car off... Go figure.

I did however pull the car WAY past the MPH it was breaking up at the track, and it pulled hard and smooth, so I do believe that fixed the issue of the phantom rev limiter.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:26 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i run the bmr xtreme anit roll bar........i suggest you invest in one...will do WONDERS for that car......i pretzeled a stock one haveing issues......swapped it out and never looked back
Old 04-10-2012, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do you still have the stock torque arm set up?
If so im betting a torque arm relocation will help a ton, and add a extreme sway bar should really help. Im betting on launch your factory torque arm is bending pretty good.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:39 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

At the very least- Adjustable/chassis mount T/A with DS loop, Stiff shocks/springs in back, drag bar, rebound only adjustable shocks up front with stock springs or equivalent.
If you are going to concentrate on launching on spray you need not worry what the car does N/A. I know you said you were going to do this already, but the car needs to be lowered.

Quick Reply: 355 LT1 Track Progress