LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Quick Question: Bigger TB or injectors needed for a head swap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by afterburner82
That was the original plan at the beginning of the thread...no worries RamAir95TA. How did you like your cam on the street? A lot of surge or was it pretty well behaved?
It runs terrific. There's no cam surge at all, thanks to the tune/tuner. Plenty of vac for brakes. I wouldn't hesitate to DD it, considering I drive 45 miles to the track, run the **** out of it, then drive 45 miles back without a problem.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Upgraded heads are open to negotiation, ie. TFS 215s. At a minimum, fully ported stock heads. Say a 10k budget too for reference. Full suspension, Moser 9" 4.11 and rebuilt M6 rated at 600 ft lbs are behind it already.
10k budget---forget building one
https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...ded-10-5k.html
Old 04-13-2012, 11:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
At first glance I thought the OP was going to use the stock heads AND stock cam.
Ported heads and a stock cam work fine. I have no idea where the idea that there would be no gains came from. I guess chevy was stupid going from ls1 heads to ls6 heads and now LS3 heads.

Hell there was a guy who made 430rwhp on a stock cam with ported heads on his ls1 gto a couple years ago.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 3DFORMULA
I like the way you think, but I already have everything built except the motor.

Any thoughts on rotating assembly? Given that I want to run on pump gas (93 octane is plentiful around here) and leaning more towards ported stock AI heads: RamAirTA95 or anyone know what the inlet valve closes ABDC is for the AI cam he mentions previously (237/242, .604"/.598")? Was trying to see what the DCR would be on an 11.8:1 CR rotating assembly.

Should I stick with the stock oil pump and use and get a white spring?

I am guessing I should also swap the oil pump driveshaft and gear as well.

Any other considerations I should make?
Old 04-14-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

I like the way you think, but I already have everything built except the motor.

Any thoughts on rotating assembly? Given that I want to run on pump gas (93 octane is plentiful around here) and leaning more towards ported stock AI heads: RamAirTA95 or anyone know what the inlet valve closes ABDC is for the AI cam he mentions previously (237/242, .604"/.598")? Was trying to see what the DCR would be on an 11.8:1 CR rotating assembly.

Should I stick with the stock oil pump and use and get a white spring?

I am guessing I should also swap the oil pump driveshaft and gear as well.

Any other considerations I should make?
The rotating assembly is something most people can agree on. Just avoid anything cast - forge everything. I am personally using a forged Ohio crank, forged Scat 6" rods and forged JE pistons.

Can't find my cam card to find the ABDC, but whatever it is there's no problem with my combo with running 93 octane. It's all in the tune so no sweat there.

Stock oil pump with a white spring would be fine, but I'm a fan of the Melling 10554. It's a more robust casting, high pressure standard volume. Fortunately it comes with a new hardened oil pump driveshaft that eliminated the plastic coupler.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Ported heads and a stock cam work fine. I have no idea where the idea that there would be no gains came from. I guess chevy was stupid going from ls1 heads to ls6 heads and now LS3 heads.

Hell there was a guy who made 430rwhp on a stock cam with ported heads on his ls1 gto a couple years ago.
I have to agree with this, no gains from port work is nonsense. Just a good multi-angle valvejob is worth power. A set of ported heads should net a good 20-30 hp on a stock motor.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

The rotating assembly is something most people can agree on. Just avoid anything cast - forge everything. I am personally using a forged Ohio crank, forged Scat 6" rods and forged JE pistons.

Can't find my cam card to find the ABDC, but whatever it is there's no problem with my combo with running 93 octane. It's all in the tune so no sweat there.

Stock oil pump with a white spring would be fine, but I'm a fan of the Melling 10554. It's a more robust casting, high pressure standard volume. Fortunately it comes with a new hardened oil pump driveshaft that eliminated the plastic coupler.
More questions I know:

Do I need the composite gear and drive I guess is what I am asking. Here is an image I found on here:

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/...T1parts014.jpg

Did you go with a different oil pan and anything else like a crank scraper?

What is everyone's take on a fully balanced kit (Crank, rods, pistons, rings and bearings) or should I pick specific stuff and get it balanced? Probably has to be rebalanced anyway with the flywheel, but I thought I would ask.

What about an ATI or a Fluiddampr?
Old 04-14-2012, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

More questions I know:

Do I need the composite gear and drive I guess is what I am asking. Here is an image I found on here:

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/...T1parts014.jpg

Did you go with a different oil pan and anything else like a crank scraper?

What is everyone's take on a fully balanced kit (Crank, rods, pistons, rings and bearings) or should I pick specific stuff and get it balanced? Probably has to be rebalanced anyway with the flywheel, but I thought I would ask.

What about an ATI or a Fluiddampr?
The link you provided is broken.

AI provides each cam with an Everwear drive gear.

I used the Canton 242T oil pan. Nothing fancy.

I like to piece together a kit and have the machine shop do the balancing. That way all your eggs are in one basket.

I used an ATI balancer, but the Fluiddampr will work just fine as well.

I am still not totally convinced that porting stock heads on an otherwise stock engine will provide the same horsepower as a mild cam on a stock engine. You simply just don't see it happen.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

The link you provided is broken.

AI provides each cam with an Everwear drive gear.

I used the Canton 242T oil pan. Nothing fancy.

I like to piece together a kit and have the machine shop do the balancing. That way all your eggs are in one basket.

I used an ATI balancer, but the Fluiddampr will work just fine as well.

I am still not totally convinced that porting stock heads on an otherwise stock engine will provide the same horsepower as a mild cam on a stock engine. You simply just don't see it happen.
Another quick question about the ATI: Did you re-use the stock hub or buy the ATI hub? Putting together the list and pricing things out.

Quick Reply: Quick Question: Bigger TB or injectors needed for a head swap?