LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 t56 clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 08:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 t56 clutch

I have a 93 z28. Ive been doing some research and cant find if the lt1 uses a pilot bearing or pilot bushing. Also which would be a good clutch for a decent price. Ive heard of people buying the cheap clutch kit from autozone and using the goods out of it and putting a badass clutch disk for alot cheaper price than the namebrand kits. Thanks for any help!
Old 04-26-2012, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 93z28lt1
I have a 93 z28. Ive been doing some research and cant find if the lt1 uses a pilot bearing or pilot bushing. Also which would be a good clutch for a decent price. Ive heard of people buying the cheap clutch kit from autozone and using the goods out of it and putting a badass clutch disk for alot cheaper price than the namebrand kits. Thanks for any help!
Competition Clutch, Great price and great quality.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I understand you can use either a bushing or a bearing. The clutch kit I bought from Autozone had both in it. Mine had a bearing in it when I took it apart so I put a bearing back in. I just used the clutch disk that came with it since I don't plan on beating on it too much lol. We'll see how long it lasts. BTW the pilot bearing can be a real PITA to get out. I tried a few different ways including a slide hammer and couldn't pop it loose. I rented a pilot bearing puller from Advance Auto and popped it out in 30 seconds.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could go with what your thinking about Autozone just fine. And run an upgraded version from stock Valeo clutch disk....I have and it ran well and was considerably stronger than stock on an old 93 I had as well. You can also re-use the old pressure plate instead if its not too bad. Then all you really need is the clutch disk. I've done that no probs also. Nevermind the naysayers. Be careful with the ever so popular Spec stuff and fancy doowops that have those heavy springs in them....many nightmares with them....I havent read about one in a long time but used to be 50 50 shot the fancy ones would drop a spring and ruin the whole setup including the flywheel.

do resurface the flywheel. but not if its superbad and requiring a deep cut. it could cause problems with engagement.

roller pilot bearing is supposed to be the be"better" version.

also you can pack a **** load of grease behind it and use a rod the size of the pilot shaft pressed in quick and strong you'll see the bushing/bearing fly right out the crank.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
Competition Clutch, Great price and great quality.
x2 CCI ftw

Quick Reply: Lt1 t56 clutch