LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Going through the wiring behind the dash, SHBOX doesnt have this stuff

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Going through the wiring behind the dash, SHBOX doesnt have this stuff

My dash is out, HVAC is gone, airbags are gone, never had power windows or locks, dont need any security crap because my car is so ugly no idiot would ever steal it, and Im trying to delete alot of these wires. Its been 2 years since I ripped the dash out and now cant remember where half these connections went.

What I cant identify:

1. There is a relay mounted to the metal cross piece that holds up the dash/steering column, just to the left of the trans tunnel. What does this do? Can/how do I delete it?

2. There is a RED flat connector with 5 wires on it unplugged, car runs fine with it unplugged, what did this go to? Im deleting it.

3. The passenger side has a big yellow connector unplugged, I think this was the passenger airbag? Im deleting it.

4. Black enclosure about 1.5x2x.5 inches that when opened reveals a little circuit board. There is a thick brown wire, a thick black wire, and a thin yellow/black wire going to it. What does this do? Can I delete it?

5. The black box with the yellow connector that is mounted beside the E brake handle. What is this for? Can I delete it?

6. a 3 on top of 3 connector (but only 4 wires) coming out of the same bundle of wires that goes to the black box by the E brake handle, but its so short it couldnt have come out past dash. The wires are dark blue, light blue, yellow, and light brown.

I have identified the wires for the HVAC controls, and the head unit, and none of those is for the above mentioned.

How do I delete the VATS? Im tired of that stupid little black box just sitting zip tied to the metal cross piece that supported the dash. If I unplug it, the car doesnt start.

I know that but I fell off a canoe drunk and drowned my iphone so now I need to actually find my camera... I feel like Im in the damn stone age again.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1 sounds like the turn signal flasher

2 sounds like the rear defogger harness

3 sounds airbag related, **** it

4 sounds like a possible RAP module, don't really need that. Just keep power to radio, windows, and door locks after you turn the key off but don't open the door.

5 air bag brains, **** it

6 sounds like "cross car harness to ip harness" but I'm not sure
Old 05-02-2012, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My advice - Go to HELM's website (or ebay for that matter) and purchase a set of real GM Service Manuals, then get familiar with the "8A" / Electrical section.

That will remove the guesswork out of this equation.

Quick Reply: Going through the wiring behind the dash, SHBOX doesnt have this stuff