LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lt1 won't start

93 trans am bone stock with 45k
The car had been sitting a bit so I drained the gas and changed the filter. Went to crank it and it turned over but it just sputtered. I checked for fuel pressure (had about 40lbs just primed and sat there for 2 hours while I was gone ) I then tried to start just for the hell of it and noticed one of the almost 20 year old wires was cracked so I had a set of plugs and wires from my other ta that I never used so I threw those on. I then just gave it another try for the hell of it and after a bit it fired and ran bad then it shut off and wouldn't restart. No it just stutters and backfires threw the intake it seems. Any ideas would be great thanks
Old 05-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Ok got it to stay running but it revs pretty slow and misses down low. Opti going out maybe ?
Old 05-06-2012, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got any codes?
Old 05-07-2012, 05:25 AM
Teching In

No it isn't throwing any codes now. Threw one for the map but I noticed it was just unpluged so I switched it for a known working map and plugged it back up .
Old 05-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Possibly a corroded opti or lose opti rotor. How long has it sat? Why did it sit? Checked the plugs?
Old 05-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Possibly a corroded opti or lose opti rotor. How long has it sat? Why did it sit? Checked the plugs?
It's had 5k miles put on it in about 6 years and 40k over the 14 before that so it never was a driver really. I went to buy it last week and it fired right up multiple times without trouble then when I went to start it the next day just cranked. Did all the other stuff that I said above and got it to fire again and run ( badly ) then went to start it this morning and no start again. I have an opti from my racecar I could swap but really don't want to if that's not it. The plugs looked like you'd imagine a stock set from 93 would look. Nothing out of the ordinary that I could see but I'm no expert on plug reading.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Didn't see you had changed out plugs. I dunno... if you have that kind of fuel pressure and it still not starting it is most likely ignition related. Before changing out opti you can try to change out ICM/coil if you have them handy? You did change the coil wire too?
Old 05-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Didn't see you had changed out plugs. I dunno... if you have that kind of fuel pressure and it still not starting it is most likely ignition related. Before changing out opti you can try to change out ICM/coil if you have them handy? You did change the coil wire too?
I have the coil and stuff off of my other car I could try and yes I changed all the the wires to a set of 8.5 msd's that I had sitting around . I have spark at all of the plugs also. I'm kinda stumped ...
So far I've :
Drained the tank and blew the lines out ( added 6 gallons of fresh stuff )
changed the fuel filter
changed plugs and wires
tested for spark and fuel
pulled fuses all were good
looked for any messed up wiring or something unpluged saw nothing
Worst comes to worst I have a pretty new opti in the garage but damnit I'm lazy and don't want to change it heh
Old 05-07-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wllbndthrw
Ok got it to stay running but it revs pretty slow and misses down low. Opti going out maybe ?
Try running some injector cleaner through it. They stick sometimes after sitting for long periods of time.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lt1-xjs
Try running some injector cleaner through it. They stick sometimes after sitting for long periods of time.
Put a can of seafoam in it but the car is back to not running again .... Why'd I decide to buy another lt1 car ? haha

Quick Reply: lt1 won't start