LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Static Compression Race/Pump.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Static compression isn't going to tell you much one way or another without evaluating valve events and more specifically, the dynamic compression ratio.

All that aside, there are plenty of people making good power on E85 but there does tend to be a wall of diminishing returns at ~13.5:1 static, where anything beyond that shows little to no gain at all. Not to mention the fact that blend % changes throughout the year, so it's probably better to err on the safe side here.

Start pushing the VE over 100% and things are going to change regardless but your main concern is low rpm cylinder pressures under load, since that's where the chance of detonation is highest.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dynamic CR > Static CR in relation to octane needs.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Melkor
Static compression isn't going to tell you much one way or another without evaluating valve events and more specifically, the dynamic compression ratio.

All that aside, there are plenty of people making good power on E85 but there does tend to be a wall of diminishing returns at ~13.5:1 static, where anything beyond that shows little to no gain at all. Not to mention the fact that blend % changes throughout the year, so it's probably better to err on the safe side here.

Start pushing the VE over 100% and things are going to change regardless but your main concern is low rpm cylinder pressures under load, since that's where the chance of detonation is highest.

Just my 2 cents.

So you personally run E-85, and have built multiple engines below and above 13.5:1 to verify this theory?
Old 05-08-2012, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Not an engine builder, I'm an engineer. Just passing along advice I was given by Eric at at Horsepower Innovations when building a maximum effort E85 engine (440 ci SBC) for my 240Z. He builds carbs for E85 and does quite a bit of tuning on E85 builds, so I tend to follow his advice in this area.

As stated earlier, the static compression doesn't get at the root of the issue anyways, since trapped charge is dependent on closing events. 10.5:1 DCR seems to be livable, with enough safety factor to account for % changes (seasonal) and ethanol's hygroscopic nature, which is going to vary octane rating a fair amount dependent on humidity.

Regards
Old 05-09-2012, 07:27 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

sweet.......another dynamic compression vs static compression argument brewing
Old 05-09-2012, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
sweet.......another dynamic compression vs static compression argument brewing
And here I thought we were discussing.

I'm not saying there is no validity to the claim that you could run much more than 13.5:1, just that the static number is not as useful as most people might think.

This isn't even as simple as saying, don't run more than xx DCR. If anyone thinks you could sum all of it up as succinctly as a two-three sentence answer then you don't understand the complexity of the issue at all. I'm not attempting to either.

You're going to need ~30% more E85 for best output, stoich is right around 10:1, so we're talking a lot of extra cooling in the combustion chamber and a lot of variables at play. To be fair, there are guys out there running ~17:1 (static) with high boost applications. I run just shy of 14:1 in my 240Z, 440 cid, 4.165 bore, lots of real estate for the flame front and durability being key through a wider rpm range. But then it's a road race car, not a dragster so YMWV.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Stoich is 9.87 but that's faaarrr from "best output".... lol

You realize you run much richer than stoich at wot I hope....
Old 05-09-2012, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by gregrob
Stoich is 9.87 but that's faaarrr from "best
output".... lol
Please refrain from pulling what I've said out of context:

....going to need ~30% more E85 for best output, stoich is right around 10:1
Two somewhat mutually exclusive thoughts within one sentence.

That said, I find it interesting that you've determined a stoich value within two decimal place precision for a fuel that varies up to 6% in ethanol content.

You realize you run much richer than stoich at wot I hope....
I'm currently finding best power at lambda 0.73-0.78 dependent on ethanol content, and using a couple of pre-defined fuel trim tables (MoTec) to compensate. What are your lambda readings at best power?
Old 05-09-2012, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm right around .82 but last time at the track I added a little fuel and it did pick up. I have more tuning to do. Still very conservative on the timing as well.

Are you boosted?

And where are these 17:1 high boost motors on E85?

I seriously want to know. I might boost mine.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As 95 said I'm not interested in this "dynamic compression" theory. I stick to static compression.

I don't know the stoichiometric for E85 but its 14.7 for gas. This does not mean its the best ratio to run. Its just the perfect balance between fuel economy and power.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

I'm right around .82 but last time at the track I added a little fuel and it did pick up. I have more tuning to do. Still very conservative on the timing as well.

Are you boosted?

And where are these 17:1 high boost motors on E85?

I seriously want to know. I might boost mine.
The 240Z is naturally aspirated but I'm putting together another engine --should have everything ready for next year-- built around a factory five '65 Shelby Daytona coupe. That one will be twin turbocharged, running on E85. So, I'm doing a fair bit of research myself right now.

There is an E85 forum, don't have it bookmarked on this computer but I will add the link later. Lots of good information there, and still a great many people learning their way around this fuel.

People using static ratios of 17:1 is just talk through the grapevine, though I'm sure those guys are out there talking about it on the forums 'somewhere'.

Personally, I don't see the point for forced induction. At least not in terms of increasing compression. The charge cooling from latent vaporization and the additional boost that affords you, is in my opinion, where the real gains are to be made. 8-8.5:1, then push a couple of atmospheres through it.

*edit*
http://e85forum.net/forum/index.php

Last edited by Melkor; 05-09-2012 at 08:54 PM. Reason: added link to E85 forums
Old 05-09-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is so friggin sweet. Ball park figure how much you got in it?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by F0x Slaughter
As 95 said I'm not interested in this "dynamic compression" theory. I stick to static compression.

I don't know the stoichiometric for E85 but its 14.7 for gas. This does not mean its the best ratio to run. Its just the perfect balance between fuel economy and power.
No, not really... 14.67 for gas is stoich, the very definition of stoich is the point of least emissions.

It has nothing to with power or the "best balance between fuel economy and power". Every EFI system out therr has an enrichment mode for high load / wot situations in which the AFR will bemuch richer than stoich to produce the most power while also protecting the engine.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

WS,
I have about 65k in the car now, most of which is my own work. If you had a shop do the majority of it, the price tag might be closer to 100. Then again, I'm not running fuel injection at the moment either and that drives things up in a hurry.

FOx,
Sounds like you've already got it all figured out then. Best of luck to ya.

Interesting forum...
Old 05-09-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very nice!
Old 05-09-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's ******* SICK.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Melkor
FOx,
Sounds like you've already got it all figured out then. Best of luck to ya.

Interesting forum...
Exactly why I don't feel like responding here. Being one of what... 3 members on here with actual E85 experience... SMH
Old 05-10-2012, 02:58 AM
10 Second Club

No, not really... 14.67 for gas is stoich, the very definition of stoich is the point of least emissions.

It has nothing to with power or the "best balance between fuel economy and power". Every EFI system out therr has an enrichment mode for high load / wot situations in which the AFR will bemuch richer than stoich to produce the most power while also protecting the engine.
What lambda are you running at cruise? My motor makes more vacuum with 5-10% enrichment at 3000rpm cruise, timing doesn't seem to change anything. I'm saying vacuum for quantitative value, but seat of the pants i can definitely feel the motor "choke" and "surge" with 10% of fuel change. Thoughts?
Old 05-10-2012, 03:05 AM
10 Second Club

Best mph was .78 for me, .80 not much diff, .82 slower. Timing was also conservative which is curious that more fuel still made more power. Never went richer than .78 but I'd like to step down to see what it does for torque. might like more fuel before peak tq, and leaner as cyl pressure drops off. Wide tuning window for sure! A guy in socal was getting best numbers at .85! LS motor though valve angle may have a play here.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Interesting. I'm cruising around 14.2 - 14.4 on the gas scale, so .97 ish

Even in 6th lugging it with the 6 speed it had plenty of tq and would pick right up without any bog or stumble. It gets progressively richer across the load range in the VE table of course, being OLSD theres not set point it "switches" to WOT.

I would like to get mine on a dyno and spend some time then back my findings up with trap speeds at the track, honestly when they start making a bit of power, tuning on the street and getting good solid data to work with becomes a hand full.

Quick Reply: Static Compression Race/Pump.