LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opinions?? And Guess??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 07:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Opinions?? And Guess??

So after a year being deployed, and getting back to a **** fest, I have decide to finish up the car.. lol Below are a few details of the build which I discussed awhile back on here. However there have been some slight changes. Just wanted to get some guesses on what kind of power she should be making and then its off to the track for some more fine tuning.
Here is what I have put together....

388 LTX Block
Callies billet splayed 4bolt caps
4340 Eagle 3.75 crank
6" Eagle Forged H beams
Mahle Piston
Canton 7qt pan
Custom Cam (242 246 on a 110 lsa .593 .577 lift)
CR- 11.6 / 1
AFR 210 Heads (slight port and valve job)
CSR EWP
LT4 Air gap Intake
58mm BBk Tb
MSD 6AL
Built TH350
BMR cross member
UMI Torque Arm
PHB
LCA
SFC

Engine should be in within a week or so and ready to go..
Old 05-08-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RJBAILEY84
So after a year being deployed, and getting back to a **** fest, I have decide to finish up the car.. lol Below are a few details of the build which I discussed awhile back on here. However there have been some slight changes. Just wanted to get some guesses on what kind of power she should be making and then its off to the track for some more fine tuning.
Here is what I have put together....

388 LTX Block
Callies billet splayed 4bolt caps
4340 Eagle 3.75 crank
6" Eagle Forged H beams
Mahle Piston
Canton 7qt pan
Custom Cam (242 246 on a 110 lsa .593 .577 lift)
CR- 11.6 / 1
AFR 210 Heads (slight port and valve job)
CSR EWP
LT4 Air gap Intake
58mm BBk Tb
MSD 6AL
Built TH350
BMR cross member
UMI Torque Arm
PHB
LCA
SFC

Engine should be in within a week or so and ready to go..
The LT4 Air Gap intake is junk. Don't waste money on it. Just send the stocker to AI or LE to get ported.

A lot of guys run the MSD6AL I'd prefer to have a Mallory 685. It has built in 2 step limiter and other features the MSD6AL you have to buy add ons.

Why are you running Callies Billet caps, but not their crankshaft or rods?
Old 05-09-2012, 04:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch. Tough crowd. People here sure are attached to the stock parts.

First, the engine is built already so it's a little late to be telling him not to waste his money on parts that are already in or on the engine.

Secondly, there's nothing "junk" about the Edelbrock LT4 intake. No, it may not be better than the factory LT4 (or even quite as good) but since they don't make those anymore they can be hard to find and/or expensive it's actually a good thing Edelbrock makes this intake.

And no, the stock intake is not a good choice for aftermarket heads with taller ports. Depending upon exact porting, the stock intake may have trouble even sealing the ports, much less the material needed to be ported to match the heads.

Welcome back, RJ. How much power it makes will be mostly dependent upon the extent to which the heads are ported. Are they the Race Ready? Or ported by somebody else? New Eliminator or older style?
Old 05-10-2012, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume its a HR cam not SR? My guess is 460 RWHP...good luck
Old 05-10-2012, 11:28 PM
Teching In

Golden Engines does good porting too.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jon A
Ouch. Tough crowd. People here sure are attached to the stock parts.

First, the engine is built already so it's a little late to be telling him not to waste his money on parts that are already in or on the engine.

Secondly, there's nothing "junk" about the Edelbrock LT4 intake. No, it may not be better than the factory LT4 (or even quite as good) but since they don't make those anymore they can be hard to find and/or expensive it's actually a good thing Edelbrock makes this intake.

And no, the stock intake is not a good choice for aftermarket heads with taller ports. Depending upon exact porting, the stock intake may have trouble even sealing the ports, much less the material needed to be ported to match the heads.

Welcome back, RJ. How much power it makes will be mostly dependent upon the extent to which the heads are ported. Are they the Race Ready? Or ported by somebody else? New Eliminator or older style?
Thank you Sir. We are pretty sure the head are the older style 210's. The port and valve job was done here in NC at a local machine shop. I should be picking them up next week to get the final details and specs.

Originally Posted by ahritchie
I assume its a HR cam not SR? My guess is 460 RWHP...good luck
You are correct about the HR cam. My plans are to break the 10.99 mark once completed. Once we hit the track and see where we are, I may end up with a SR and single plane with a LS computer swap.
I have to say around my area though I have been getting a lot of hate on my LT car. lol Everyone is saying It wont keep up with a heads and cam LS and its basically ****..lol Anyways that's the motivation to finish the project and have some fun..
Old 07-01-2012, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Well I have everything finished up and ready for the tune on Thursday of this week. RPM will doing the tuning and as always I expect nothing but the best from them. Anyone one care to guess some numbers? I'm not really worried about what it makes as long as I can see about 415 to the wheels.. What do you guys think?
Old 07-01-2012, 05:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

It should easily be over the 415rwhp mark. I'm going to say 440/460
Old 07-03-2012, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by joelster
It should easily be over the 415rwhp mark. I'm going to say 440/460
I hope your right on the money... I really want to get this thing dialed in so I can make my plans to get to the shootout this year.. Heard nothing but great things about it and would like to participate and at least attempt to be competitive.... lol

Quick Reply: Opinions?? And Guess??