LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Optispark, fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optispark, fuel pump?

1994 Trans Am, no mods, just replaced opti after it was acting in which car would shut off after reaching operating temperature and wouldnt restart. I replaced the optispark and had an oil leak in the same area. I reused the timing cover seals, pretty aggressive leak, driveway is a total mess. New seals will be here tomorrow.

Anyway, it wasnt dying for a week. But one thing did happen one day. The car always starts fine when its fully warmed up or close. And every morning i go to fire it, it starts instantly. When i leave it for a few hours, it takes 4 seconds to crank. So as i was saying. One day i started it after it was sitting for 1 hour, it took a few seconds, i heard a slight pop, then my idle was around 2k and slowly came down to normal. Drove fine. Later that day it's sitting for a few hours, i start it, takes a few seconds, back out of driveway, put in drive, car dies. Wouldn't fire but the tach was reading 200 rpm while cranking and giving it gas. after about 5 or so tries it fires and runs fine. Then yesterday it was driving fine, i park it, sit in the car for a few minutes on the phone, start it, dies instantly, horrible idle sounded cammed, only way it was running was pressing on and off on the foot pedal. I checked all vaccums and try unplugging the MAF, all sensors were in tight, still wouldnt run. Once it did fire good about the 3rd time i tried it and i reved it nice and loud then went to drive and it died. So after going to get gas i was just under a quarter (i had gotten close to E somewhat earlier but it's never acted like it is starving for fuel). So after i put gas in it, it wouldn't start at all. Just cranking like before when the opti went out. Dont have a code reader.

Now my question is, i cant hear the pump prime? I always have been able to hear it but now i can't. And i pressed the shrader valve and nothing came out. But i hear the opti being bad will not allow for fuel pump operation or injector operation. So what do you guys think?
Old 05-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Banned

i forgot to add, the car never leaked before i replaced the opti
Old 05-09-2012, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get a gauge and test the fuel pressure if you suspect the fuel pump. Is your opti covered in oil or something Maybe it got oil in it somehow from this leak? If both of those check out, look at the ignition control module.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I check fuel pressure.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:42 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like the fuel pump is going out , Gets hot when your running it turn the car off takes a long time to start the pump is struggling to build pressure . get the fuel pressure checked .

Quick Reply: Optispark, fuel pump?