LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stock rear end killed

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock rear end killed

I posted this in the gears section and after 90 some views i got nothing so either everyone in the thinks im a dick and doesnt want to help me, which they maybe right lol or nobody knows so I figured I would try in here and see if you guys think im a dick as well or possibly know the answer lol.

Well as the title says I killed the spider gears in the rear but the crazy part is the 4.10's survived and are in great condition lol. So my question is I called around to every yard near me and there isnt a single v8 camaro or firebird to get a new carrier (center section) from. Are there any other vehicles that would have the same carrier? I had heard before that the rear is the same as the s-10's but I wanted to check first if it would have the same carrier or not. If so what years and anything I need to know? My car is a 97 camaro z28 m6. Thanks for the help in advance I included a couple carnage pics also. Oh yeah it twisted the drive shaft in half also when it went so I got to get a new/used one of those also which is awesome lol. Oh well if your gonna play hard better be expecting to pay up.

Thanks Braden
Attached Thumbnails Stock rear end killed-2-1-.jpg   Stock rear end killed-2.jpg   Stock rear end killed-photo-5.jpg  
Old 05-10-2012, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

Hmmm have you tried craigslist ? Rears are always forsale on there or in the forsale section here. I believe the s-10 will work if you can find a non open one.. If your car is a weekend warrior you could always get a spool and some hardened axels.Ive seen them hold up well behind auto bracket racers cars with mild power in front of them. I only metioned that option as a way to get the car back on the road till you save for a rear if that's in your plan.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info yea im saving for a 9in so I dont want to drop a ton of loot into the stock rear at this point. Just kind of wanna get it on the road for the second time this summer lol literally 15 miles on it this summer and
Old 05-10-2012, 11:07 AM
TECH Regular

I'm pretty sure S10 carriers are open diff, but there might be some that have LSD. Maybe you can find some info at s10forums.com.

If you don't want to switch to a 12-bolt or 9-inch, why not just buy an aftermarket 10-bolt carrier like an Eaton?

Whether you find an S10 carrier that actually has a LSD or you buy a new Eaton LSD carrier, you're still going to have to at least tear down the pumpkin, throw in a new crush sleeve, and reset your preloads and lash. You might not be saving much money taking the S10 carrier route.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Spider gears are always a weak link in those diffs.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

I would look for a stock drive shaft, and a stock rear end.. just to put the car back on the road. And save for the good stuff..
Old 05-10-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Detroit locker?

Quick Reply: Stock rear end killed