LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

efi connection people won't start throwing code

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

1336 will not cause a no start. If you are using the efi harness, then it will be pinned properly for correct firing order. What size inj is your tune set for and are you using the same injectors? If it fires, then dies could be a vats issue too
Old 05-13-2012, 05:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh my...I need to straighten out this thread.

car is throwing a code 1336 crank relearn. Does anyone know what this is or why?
This DTC ("code") is typical. It is an idicator that the PCM is either new or has a new flash (calibration). CASE (crank learn) is data the PCM acquires related to crank reluctor/sensor variation. It's a learning procedure that, if the PCM has lost because of a reflash, must be performed by a GM Tech2 scan tool or other tool capable of initiating the procedure (like EFILive). It is used for misfire detection only. It is unrelated to an engine not running. You may experience some who say, "My engine is not running quite right yet...it needs a crank learn." No, it doesn't, because the PCM will always fire injectors/coils based on the 24x waveform coming from the crank (and the 1x waveform from the cam).

the only time i have ever done relarns is with the car firing. but you might be able to do it while cranking the bitch for a while
No, you won't be able to perform a crank learn procedure while cranking the engine. Part of the procedure requires normal operating coolant temp and the ability to achieve about 4500 rpm.

how would we know if we have crank and cam signals?
The two ways to check for a crank signal are by observing RPMs with a scan tool and by watching the crank sensor signal with an oscilloscope. You can have a bad crank signal and still register RPMs with a scan tool. There is no PID (data to monitor) for the crank sensor.

The two ways to check for a cam signal are by observing the Cam Counts High to Low and Cam Counts Low to High PIDs and by watching the cam sensor signal with an oscilloscope. The cam count PIDs should increment one after the other without missing a digit.

at work i have a snap on soltice. but you hit relearn on the scanner and bring the rpm up for 30 sec or something
The learn producedure takes only a few seconds to do. Your scan tool must be capable of doing it (Tech2, SnapOn, EFILive). No, a $50.00 scan tool cannot perform crank learn. No, an AutoZone scan tool cannot perform crank learn.

how did you switch the firing order? in the harness or pcm
You cannot change the firing order in the PCM.

you need the crank and cam single to get a injector pulse and coil pulse. if you dont have them the car will not fire
The car will fire without the cam signal. However, it may assume the wrong stroke.

the firing order from a ls and lt are diffrent you eather have to change it in the harness or ecu
You cannot change the firing order in the PCM.

on my 24x swap i had to get the lower timming sprocket thayed down to get a crank single. i called efi and they said aftermarket cranks are all diffrent...
No, I said that there are varying thicknesses of aftermarket crankshaft timing sprockets. I did not say that aftermarket cranks are all different.

...and to make sure the wheel is right in the middle of the sensor hole
No, I said that the reluctor is just forward of center of the hole. That is where the sensor gets its signal.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:49 AM
TECH Regular

The 24x conversion was designed using a stock engine. We used a 1994 LT1. More often than not, when someone has a problem with no start, intermittent spark, or no spark, it is because an aftermarket crank timing sprocket has moved the reluctor forward and out of the sensor range.

All 24x customers have received a troubleshooting guide with the purchase of the 24x hardware. In that troubleshooting guide are measurements to take from the face of the reluctor to the face of the block to determine if the crank timing sprocket is thicker than GM's crank timing sprocket.

When you took that measurement before installing the timing cover, what was it?

Last edited by S10Wildside; 05-13-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

never measured it. Are we able to tell by looking through the sensor hole? we have a leak in the back of the water pump from the freeze plug for the ewp so that has to come off. If thats the issue i guess we can correct it then
Old 05-13-2012, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by z28rob18
never measured it. Are we able to tell by looking through the sensor hole?
You can not.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

How do the coil harnesses need to be wired? It seems we have spark but the coils r firing in the wrong order
Old 05-13-2012, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by S10Wildside
You can not.
yes you can i have done it on my lt1 camaro to make sure they lined up take the sensor out and get under the car and look into the hole its not fun but i did it. that is how i figured mine was off
Old 05-13-2012, 03:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tt383lt1
yes you can i have done it on my lt1 camaro to make sure they lined up take the sensor out and get under the car and look into the hole its not fun but i did it. that is how i figured mine was off
No. If the reluctor is thousandths forward (and out of sensor range) because of a crank timing sprocket that is thicker than stock, you will not be able to determine it is out of sensor range by looking through the sensor hole.

Occasionally I receive email from double row timing set installations with a picture attachment of the reluctor shown through the sensor hole. There is no way I can say the installation is good or not without taking measurements with the timing cover removed. I can say, "it looks about right", but that's the best I can do.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

we have spark could our issue still be from the reluctor wheel being out of range? We can't figure out why the firing order is so messed up and can't figure out how to get it fixed.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:23 PM
Teching In

How do the coil harnesses need to be wired? It seems we have spark but the coils r firing in the wrong order
S10Wildside can correct me i am wrong, but I think you would orient the coil harness just like you would if it were installed on an LSx engine. With this being said your problem could be that the harness is flipped and/or installed in the wrong direction. You should be able to verify the proper coil pigtail location by tracing it back to the pin at the ECU (using wire diagram, etc.)
Old 05-18-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matlt12
S10Wildside can correct me i am wrong, but I think you would orient the coil harness just like you would if it were installed on an LSx engine. With this being said your problem could be that the harness is flipped and/or installed in the wrong direction. You should be able to verify the proper coil pigtail location by tracing it back to the pin at the ECU (using wire diagram, etc.)
It would be very difficult to cross over the harness. It can only go on one way in the car and the coils are wired to work with the sparkplug that it sits over. Unless theirs something wrong with his coils and there wired improperly and its causing them all to fire wrong.

OP: I am throwing the same code but my car runs great. It still needs to get the crank relearn done but no GM dealer by me will touch it because None of them know what there doing! and nobody that i know has a tech2. Im going the EFI route and saying Ef it lol
Old 05-19-2012, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

HP tuners will do a case learn to get rid of the 1336 code. SoxXpupPeT, lmk if you want to take a ride over the GW, I can fix that for you. IIRC, it doesn't even require a licence (read free).

PCM will default to waste fire if it doesn't have a good cam signal so it will not fire off 180, it will run with an extra spark. If it doesn't have a good crank signal, it will decline to spark at all.

I am wondering WTF is going on with a plug and play efi connection harness plus an ltcc harness.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

The coil harness on the even side of the motor was all mixed up. I got the coils and coil harnesses from an old ltcc set up. We got those correct and it fired right up
Old 05-19-2012, 07:22 AM
Teching In

The coil harness on the even side of the motor was all mixed up. I got the coils and coil harnesses from an old ltcc set up. We got those correct and it fired right up
Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
It would be very difficult to cross over the harness. It can only go on one way in the car and the coils are wired to work with the sparkplug that it sits over. Unless theirs something wrong with his coils and there wired improperly and its causing them all to fire wrong.
Apparently not
Old 05-19-2012, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Idk why it was all mixed around. I guess the guy had them set up for the ltcc
Old 05-19-2012, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you got it all sorted out Rob!
Old 05-19-2012, 10:26 AM
TECH Veteran

so wheres the vid
Old 05-19-2012, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I need to find a camera.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 05HD
HP tuners will do a case learn to get rid of the 1336 code. SoxXpupPeT, lmk if you want to take a ride over the GW, I can fix that for you. IIRC, it doesn't even require a licence (read free).

PCM will default to waste fire if it doesn't have a good cam signal so it will not fire off 180, it will run with an extra spark. If it doesn't have a good crank signal, it will decline to spark at all.

I am wondering WTF is going on with a plug and play efi connection harness plus an ltcc harness.
Thanks Alot for the offer HD! I got it cleared by my mechanic. He had a scanner that had the relearn ability in it! I lucked out lol

I need to find a camera.
Find one! Lol Hows she running ? Im glad you were able to figure it out! i just got mine squared away and i broke the snout off of a coil

Last edited by SoxXpupPeT; 05-22-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

there's a vid in my build thread (in sig) and i also posted a thread with it

Quick Reply: efi connection people won't start throwing code