LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Exhaust leak or rocker noise?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 12:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Far easier to spot with a manual car than an auto. Reason being is you can put a lot of load on the engine and still keep engine at low rpm... Did you try to accelerate with the stall locked at low mph/rpm?
It made the noise at specific rpms regardless of load. Not so much under acceleration, but rather on decel between 2500-1500 rpms. It did it with converter locked and unlocked at those rpms. What made the noise so difficult to narrow down was that due to the Kooks header gaskets having the thin layer of stainless it acted like blowing through your hand with a blade of grass between your thumbs like we all did in grade school, or last week, lol. The noise had a high pitched squeak making it appear to be mechanical not exhaust. Luckily for me an LS car with a similar, although more pronounced noise, came into the shop with Kooks headers/gaskets and you could actually almost see the header leak. mine turned out to be in the back of the motor in cylinders 7 and 8. Even a stethoscope in the back of the motor revealed what appeared to be a mechanical noise. Basically it sucked, kicked my ***, and I'm glad it was finally fixed for $20.

--Alan
Old 06-09-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BadBirdie
buy some felpro 1406's. you'll be glad you did.
Will do if that is the problem . Thanks
Old 06-09-2012, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Far easier to spot with a manual car than an auto. Reason being is you can put a lot of load on the engine and still keep engine at low rpm... Did you try to accelerate with the stall locked at low mph/rpm?
Mines is an auto, so what can I do to figure it out, do I drive it while dropping it on 1st gear to se if it gets louder by the increased rpm? When the engine is cold and turn the car on in the morning the noise is loud. Il drive and the sound gets really loud and annoying, once the engine warms up it tends to somewhat go away probably cause metal expands and wherever the leak is, the whole is probably much less bigger due to metal expanding in this case the stock exhaust manifolds. As well when I am cruising at 65mph on the highway, the noise is not as loud and sometimes the noise would disappear on the highway. I took off both valve covers and tested to see if any had play, all rocker arms were solid as a rock, so none were loose. Im pretty sure it is a stupid exhaust leak. Just want to be able to pinpoint where the leak is coming from, i which in my case it seems its coming from the driver side exhaust manifold since as you can see in the pic part of the gasket is bent and as well the sound is coming from the driver side.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Question. how hard is it to change the exhaust manifold gaskets and drop the exhaust? Can a beginner do it? Any steps?
Old 06-09-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Help! Anyone?
Old 06-09-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock manifolds? Yes its easy to do.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Talking

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Stock manifolds? Yes its easy to do.
Yes stock manifolds. So can you inform me on the steps if possible? Would highly appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Exhaust leak or rocker noise?