LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ICM movement

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012 | 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

Default ICM movement

Had a problem with a bog/missfire for a while now when the engine is hot. Ruled out the 02 sensors, Fuel pump, MAF, plugs, and wires. All that is left is the ICM coil and opti. I did the ICM cooling mod but all that did was lengthen the time it takes the car to start missing. That little bugger is still getting really hot. I took it off the heat sink and about boiled the skin on my hand. The thermal paste looked like crap too. My question is can the ICM be moved to a modified bracket on the fender with lengthening of the harness? If so has anyone done it?
Old 06-11-2012 | 10:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by rich5368
Had a problem with a bog/missfire for a while now when the engine is hot. Ruled out the 02 sensors, Fuel pump, MAF, plugs, and wires. All that is left is the ICM coil and opti. I did the ICM cooling mod but all that did was lengthen the time it takes the car to start missing. That little bugger is still getting really hot. I took it off the heat sink and about boiled the skin on my hand. The thermal paste looked like crap too. My question is can the ICM be moved to a modified bracket on the fender with lengthening of the harness? If so has anyone done it?
If the ICM is still that sensitive to heat, even after moving it off the head and reapplying the thermal paste, then it is probably on its way out and needs to be replaced.

I would just replace the ICM, space it off the head with a few washers, and be done with it.
Old 06-11-2012 | 11:55 PM
TECH Regular

Replacing is the plan. I just don't want it to happen again lol. Was looking for a permanent solution to protect it from heat.
Old 06-12-2012 | 02:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by rich5368
Replacing is the plan. I just don't want it to happen again lol. Was looking for a permanent solution to protect it from heat.
Relocate it to the inner fender and extend the wires then.
Old 06-12-2012 | 11:27 PM
Launching!

i would be interested to see what you do as i am having a similar problem if not the same with a bog/missfire. im going to do the washer spacer mod tomorrow but still im interested to see what you would do

Quick Reply: ICM movement